Chapter 16 | A Player's Gamble

"Come on (y/n), you gotta eat at least something," said Midge as she sat across from you from the table. You, Midge, and Abby were sitting together at a table eating breakfast before practice, and you hadn't touched your food since you sat down.

"I'm not hungry," you replied sternly, continuing to playing with the eggs.

"We know it sucks (y/n), but you have to eat before practice," urged Abby.

You took a deep sigh as you were supposed to tell coach later today that Christen was not in fact sick and was missing. Arriving late last night from searching costed you sleep, and you were in no mood/shape to train today.

"Maybe it was pointless going after her. If she doesn't want to be found maybe we should just leave her be," you huffed. Your voice was horse, and you didn't feel good.

"At this point we don't even know if she's okay. It'd be irresponsible if we don't say anything. God forbid if we saw on the news that they found her body somewhere and we knew what happened but didn't say anything, what do you think that would make us?" Said Abby.

"Dude, what the fuck?" Hissed Midge, "don't say that shit."

"I'm sorry, but I'm just saying we have to look like responsible people here," defended Abby.

"What would coach do once he finds out we haven't told him for days? He'd kick our asses off this team that's what," snapped Midge.

The whole time they were bickering, you had kept quiet and kept your eyes on the table. The thought of finding on the news that Christen's body was found terrified you, and it made you want to throw up. Suddenly without warning, you stood up from your chair and walked out without a word.

"See now look at what you made her do," said Midge.

You heard the sound of them continuing to argue as you left the ballroom. You found a trash bin out in the hall, and once you got there, you found your stomach having a mind of its own and throwing up food from last night.

"Agh," you wheezed. You wiped a bit of throw up from your lip and looked in disgust.

"Don't worry, we'll find her," said a voice behind you.

You turned your head and saw Tobin standing behind. She walked over and rubbed your back to help soothe the pain, "if there's one thing I know about her, is that she's a fighter, and she won't let the city get to her first," she firmly stated.

"Thanks, Abby and Midge are just getting me stressed," you gasped. You looked up at Tobin who was staring at you with a blank expression, but it wasn't a threatening one like she's always given you.

"I understand. Now come on, we have to get on the bus," she said as she nudged you away from the bin.

You took a sigh of defeat but followed everyone else as you all piled up and took your usual seats.

"Whoa, you smell a bit (y/n), what happened to you?" Asked Abby as she sat next to you.

"I threw up," you replied in the most casual tone of voice. She looked at you worried but you didn't say anything else as the bus started off towards the fields.

You knew this practice was not going to treat you nicely, and you tried not to think of the idea of you suffering for two hours. And you were right. The practice was grueling for you, and mentally you were not present. You kept messing up and knew coach was keeping a close eye on everyone. You cursed to yourself for your poor performance and tried to move past it, but every time the thought of Christen kept coming to your head.

"Hey, get your head in the game, this isn't the time to think about her," instructed Tobin coming up to you.

"I know, I'm sorry... it's just hard today," you groaned. What a pathetic excuse you thought to yourself.