17

they were halfway between apologizing and laughing their butts off.

"he never stopped talking!"

"mian," jisoo giggled.

"ya unnie, you think that was funny?"

it wasn't often that i get upset with them. it was simply a date yet i regretted going in it. they swallowed their laughters and apologized again.

"we really thought he would be good, lisa. i mean, he seemed to be a decent guy, and he's a rising star in the corporate law department." jennie mentioned.

"i know... he told me."

it seems like they were trying hard to keep their laughter inside. taking a breath, chaeng said, "i guess we should have vetted him some more."

"forgive us?" jisoo unnie added.

then they had me. those two words — forgive us — were the pass that got all of us out of all kinds of trouble.

"well, i will accept your apology on one condition" i paused, waiting for them to ask me what was the condition.

but they didn't say a word; seems like they needed a moment so that the next time they open their mouths, they wouldn't be still laughing.

"you guys are never, ever, as long as i find someone i genuine like, allowed to set me up on a date."

"as long as you find someone you'll like? that's a long time," jisoo said, wanting so badly to bust out.

"long time? i'm not sure about that," chaeng butted in.

"yeah right, how was the date with kook?" jennie asked.

"huh?"

"you and him. you sure were makin' a lot of time with each other. surely you got a second date set up by now."

isn't it normal to hang out with your friends though? i mean, yeah of course kook and i planned to see each other again tomorrow, but that's just because we enjoy each other's company. is that a big deal?

"i think he likes you," chaeng teased.

huh? even if that were to be true, it's impossible. i'm clearly way out of his league.

"think about it lisa," jisoo said, "he's always there to brighten up your mood when you're feeling down."

"plus, i heard something from taetae!"

chaeng and jisoo automatically looked at jennie as they giggle like teenagers, exchanging communications through their gazes that i fail to understand.

"no, it's not a date. stop looking at me that way."

jisoo pressed her lips together and squinted.

"you'd be amazed how many men in the idol industry would like to take you out,"

"yet a certain someone keeps that from happening," jennie insisted.

"true! and the fact that your first meeting was somehow planned by him," chaeng confessed.

i was getting confused to what they were saying. whatever they are trying to point out, it's plain dumb. i bet kook only sees me like a sister or something, similar as to how i am in bam's eyes.

yeah right, i won't mistake how a man treats me again this time. i will restrain myself from catching feelings. no more heartaches.

"anyway, i promise we won't set you up on another date."

turning the conversation serious, chaeng added, "but we won't have to, because i know God has someone for you. he's just making him get right, and when he does, that man is going to walk right into your life."

wow, chaeng managed to include God in our topic? typical church girl.

"or has already walked in," jen teased.

"and who would it be?" i asked.

they gave weird looks at me and formed a letter j through their fingers. i rolled my eyes at them. are they really going to tease me throughout the night?

"jokes aside, whoever it will be, i know he's right around the corner!"

"you're sure unnie, huh?" i asked.

"positive."

"is he going to be cute or rich?"

"which would you prefer?"

"that he let's me get a word in edgewise," i said, referring to my date with sung-ho, causing them to laugh.

slowly, i smiled. early or not, i hope i could be with my boyfriend in dreams.

•••

another day to practically spend every minute with him, hanging out and messing around. as friends, for sure.

my members really got inside my mind, damn it.

as we walked down the street toward the bar at the far end, kook suddenly grabbed my hand, swung me to face him. he stood staring at me without saying a word.

"what is it?" i asked, frowning, because he looked so serious.

he didn't answer me, just pulled me forward into his arms and held me close to him. after a moment, he released me, and said in a low voice, "i'm always so happy when i'm with you, lisa. i wonder why that is?"

surprised by his question, i raised a brow, then said, "is it because i'm cute?"

"i rather go blind."

"why? is it because you can no longer resist my charms, oppa?"

his eyes wide-opened and eyebrows pointed high. despite his bucket hat and mask, i assume he got surprised by my act. his silence is my answer after all.

"you're blushing again, aren't you?"

he looked at me slowly and he had the same look on his face. stuttering, he said, "i'm— i'm not b...blushing, brat."

i laughed and a smile grew on my face. with that, he continued to walk further away from me.

funny how i'm starting to feel things i wasn't used to feeling when he was around. still, i'm setting my walls higher. i am not going to give in yet. i hope.