Chapter 5

"I believe that every person is born with talent."
— Maya Angelou

💚

A small gap in the curtains produced a ray of light to shine upon my skin in the early hours of the morning. The sound of the tree leaves rustling against the light breeze and the birds happily chirping a morning tune, was enough to wake me up from my slumber.

Eyes still adjusting to the sudden light and sounds, I propped myself up in my bed tiredly, glancing around the quiet dorm. To my avail, everyone was fast asleep, accompanied by soft snoring and the occasional rustle of a blanket, every time movement occurred.

I soundlessly got out of bed and quickly got changed into my school uniform.

After a night of tossing and turning, trying my best to fall asleep in this new environment, I peacefully fell asleep. Only to of naturally woken up in the early morning hours.

I took this as an advantage. This meant I would get to class earlier and probably get the common room to myself.

Grasping the door handle and pushing the door gently, I made my way out of my dorm and into the common room. Closing the door behind me with caution.

As I enter the familiar area, my attention is suddenly brought onto a mysterious figure slouched onto one of the armchairs. One hand grasping a cup of water, occasionally taking a large gulp. While the other hand was rested on the chairs arm, their fingers tapping at the green fabric in an unrhythmic beat.

Who in the world would also be awake at five in the morning? I wondered to myself in dismay.

The figure turned to face me, their blonde hair moving in sync with their abrupt gesture.

It didn't even take me a second to realise who was slouched on the couch. Draco Malfoy. He looked distressed, large bags were visible under his eyes, as they weighed down the happiness that once was visible.

As I tiptoed towards the couch opposite him, I distinguished a strange sense of relief and calmness wash over his face, as if my presence had somehow cured him from his anxiousness.

Sitting down in the comfortable chair, Draco interrupted the awkward silence that was lingering in the air moments ago. He hooked his tired eyes onto mine, waiting for me to display any emotion that would trigger an answer.

"You're still made at me, aren't you?" Draco muttered under his breath.

A long silence occurred as I attempted to think of an appropriate response to his question, his eyes burning into my soul dangerously.

"I would be mad at myself if I were you Phoebe." He exclaimed, a hint of guiltiness in his tone.

"Look. What you said was horrible and it really hurt me, but staying mad at you forever isn't going to help anything is it?" I stated.

"Yeah. I shouldn't of said that. I was just having a bad day and it was wrong of me to put out my anger on you." He confessed.

Draco's eyes diverted their attention onto the fireplace. The green flames illuminating a harsh green glow onto his solemn face.

I turned my gaze onto Draco once again, a trail of confusion and worry overcome me. "What happe—" I was disrespectfully cut off as he completely ignored my question and brushed it off as if it were dust.

"What lesson do you have first?" Replied Draco in a rushed tone, turning to face me.

"Uhh, I have flying with Madam Hooch. She thought it would be a good idea for me to practice flying a broom, since I didn't get a chance to at Beauxbatons." I answered.