26. First Thing

Max and I have to stay off camera from the moment we leave the cabin until we leave set. The producers don't want us appearing in the background of any shots and screwing up the fake timelines they're creating.

The villa's bedrooms aren't very large. I mean, we're sleeping in double beds because nothing bigger will fit. Not saying it isn't a luxury compared to my bunkbed situation at home. The point I'm trying to make is that we don't have much space to hide away in, since we aren't allowed to go downstairs.

We're in my room so we don't run into any of the guys who aren't exactly Max's (or my) biggest fans. Elijah and Levi, you know the ones. Between my luggage and Max's massive backpack—it's one of those cool traveler ones—we have limited floorspace.

The long stretch between the proposal and Wednesday morning has pretty much been us on a double bed alternating between Netflix and sex with the occasional break for showers and food. Oh, and lots of banter. That goes without saying.

The show airs Tuesday night at nine. Twelve hours later, we're in a Reality Network van, on our way to the Coral Beach Hotel and Spa.

"We're free," I breathe.

"Finally," Max mutters.

"What are you going to do first?" I ask. When I see his smirk, I remember the plan he told me the night we walked the beach together. "Not me," I clarify. "I'm calling my mom."

"Can't multitask?"

"Absolutely not."

"I'll see how Cody's doing, then." He winks. "We'll get to it later."

"Later," I agree.

Want to guess the first question Mom asks when I call?

You're right. She'd like to know how far along I am.

"Mom, I'm not pregnant," I groan.

"Mia, the quick engagement is very suspicious. You can tell me. I'm bound to find out soon enough," she says sternly.

"That's not why we got engaged. It's a, um, long story. I'll tell you tomorrow. I booked a flight to Lincoln so I can introduce you to Max."

"She wants to tell me in person," I hear Mom call over her shoulder, which I think means she announced my nonexistent pregnancy to her book club. I'd be upset, but this isn't the first time that's happened. We might be on three or four now.

"Mom!" I shout. "Mom, for the love of—"

"Mia!"

"For the love of myself, I'm not pregnant. No grandchildren for you. Sorry to disappoint."

Someone in the background yells that she'll bring a couple tests to our reunion. "We'll sort it out tomorrow," Mom says to me.

It's the best I can hope for. "Sounds good. Did you watch the show?"