13. Fan Favorites

Each of our meal dates has been located in a different spot around the Enlisted property, which consists of the villas, the surrounding studio and trailers, and a huge expanse of beach where the cabana and cabins are located. Incredible vacation spot. Perfect reality show filming location.

Horrible date venue. There are only so many open rooms in the villas and studio that the crew can make date-ready. When I saw that my lunch date with Max was on the western part of the beach—they actually raised a flag to indicate where we're supposed to go—I figured we'd be doing a casual picnic thing like Levi and I had.

I was kind of right.

We are having a picnic, but there's nothing casual about it.

Sprawled beneath an umbrella on a silky white sheet held down by colorfully painted rocks and driftwood is Max Vaughn, looking sexier than ever. He—and by he, I mean his stylists—ditched the dark jeans for pale blue shorts and the tee for a loose white button-down, sleeves rolled up. The rose petals sprinkled all over the blanket are visible in his mirror aviators.

I can't stay mad at him. I don't even know if I have a reason to be in the first place, but now I definitely can't, not with the way he runs his teeth over his lip when he sees me approach.

He touches the spot beside him, and I forget that cameras are pointed at me. There's only Max and the cologne that drives me wild and his minty breath and his soft lips. Our kiss is short but deep, and I pull away breathless.

"Sushi, Mia?"

I suppress a groan. Sushi freaks me out. I know it's safe, and the Enlisted chefs are incredibly talented, but the idea of eating anything raw, besides vegetables, doesn't sit well with me.

"Ah, so I guessed correctly, then."

I blink. I suppose the only thing that can distract me from Max is raw fish. Noted. "What?"

"You don't like sushi."

"You know I don't like sushi?"

"Now I do. I guessed before."

I'm very, very confused. "Wait, so you knew we were having a sushi date, and you guessed that I don't like sushi, but you didn't want to give me a heads-up?"

"I asked the chefs for avocado and asparagus rolls instead of fish. A couple have mango, but I can have those ones if you don't want fruit."

Yeah, there's no chance I stay mad at him.

After our date, I change into a bathing suit and meet Max back down at the beach

After our date, I change into a bathing suit and meet Max back down at the beach. I'm incapable of being away from him, it feels like, and I'm fairly certain the feeling is reciprocated.

"Let's leave," he growls into my ear.

I never know what he's talking about. Now is no exception. "Leave the beach?"