Chapter 29 - Healing

Setting the car in park, and turning off the ignition, Adrien took a breath and leaned back in his seat before unbuckling. Seeing his stress, Marinette rested her hand on his shoulder. This was going to be hard for him and he was grateful to have every ounce of support he had. Especially, from a wife who knew him so well and how much he needed her at that moment. Emma, Hugo, and Louis twirled their thumbs in the backseat, unsure of what to say or how to feel about the current situation. With a sigh Adrien turned in his seat to face the kids.  Marinette followed. 

"You guys ready?" He asked trying to gather up his own courage. 

"As well ever be, I guess." Emma responded on behalf of herself and her brothers.

"Alright then." Adrien whispered just loud enough to fit the  nervous and gloomy mood. Together the small family made their way up to the front doors of the prison. Adrien, being the gentlemen he was, opening the door for his family and stepping inside behind them.  With a quick word to the receptionist, the Agrestes followed an officer as he escorted them to a public visiting area. There were others in the room visiting other inmates. So sketchier then others and the Agrestes couldn't help but take noticed, inwardly flinching as their hero instincts kicked in. 'Now isnt the time.' They reminded themselves. The officer stopped at a table and offered them to sit. Nobody moved.

"Do you mind if we talk with him privately first?" Adrien asked. For a moment such as introducing his family to his father, it felt way to intimate for the public eye and hoped that his question would be granted with a yes. The officer nodded and radioed to a fellow cop. 

"That can be arranged. Follow me." Again they were walking the halls of the  sturdy, bare, and cold building. Passing corridor, after corridor of jail cells until they came to a passage.  Gabriel had his own section, where he was guarded, not heavily, but nonetheless guarded. The officer opened the door to the cell block and allowed the family to step in. 

"Would you give us a moment?" The officer nodded to Adrien's request and stepped outside the door, closing it behind him, where he waited. Gabriel turned his head from his paper when he heard the noises of the door. Immediately, he was sent into a shock. 

"Adrein!?" Gabriel questiined to himself as he slowly got to his feet.

"Hello father." His son replied as he ran his hand through the blonde hair of a girl, that he could only assume to be his granddaughter.

"Wha...what are you doing here?"

"I thought that it was about time I learned to forgive you.  Reincorperating you into the family is a good place to start dont you think?" Adrien spoke, forcing the words of his tounge as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck. There was a silence as everyone shifted uncomfortably. The elderly man stepped up to the bars, grabbing onto them naturally. A softness in his posture and expression as he looked at his son and his family. Marinette shifted ever so slightly, wrapping her hands around her husband's arm comfortingly. They could do this.

"Miss. Dupen Cheng?" Marinette perred up and across the way at her father-in-law, unsure how to react to having been addressed by her maiden name. "I apologize for not being able to fully welcome you into the Agreste family. That being said, I'm glad that you've been by my son's side for the past twenty years. I can tell you've been good to him. It's an honor to consider you my daughter-in-law." Gabriel said sincerely. Marinette smiled weakly, and slowly bent her knees in a miniature curtsy. Adrien wast knocked back in surprise. He hadnt expected his father to jump on the train of restoration as fast as he did. "So,.. .who are these fine youngsters?" 

"Emma Emilie Agreste." Emma piped up with a breath of confidence, stepping up to the cell, her arm extended. "Nice to meet you sir." Gabriel was a little surprised by the girl's suddened boldness, but easily brushed it aside as he remembered that his late wife had been the exact same. There was no question that his granddaughter had taken after her father and her grandmother before him. Reaching his hand through the bars, he shook her hand firmly.