i. chapter fourteen

It had been six months after they had gained the arrival of the twins & Mirage, and the base was as lively as ever. Of course, the girls were finally out of school- having needed to go through sophomore year [again, for Mikayla at least]- and were free for the time being.

And to say they were excited would be an understatement. Especially with the news of a familiar 'bot and humans coming to base.

"Are there here yet?" Em asked for the seventh time that day.

Lennox stared blankly at her. "E. For the last time, no, they are not here yet. It's six in the morning- let me drink my coffee."

"They're supposed to be here in two hours, okay?" Epps responded, his expression blank as he sipped the tea in front of him. "Now please shut up. I'm still trying to wake up."

Mikayla groaned. "Ugh, night owls."

Em shivered. "I remember when I hated mornings. That was a sad time."

Both men looked up at the girl- who hadn't aged a day since they first met her- and gave her a hard glare. She backed off, heading for the main hangar instead. "Fine, jeez. I'm leaving."

Mikayla followed in tow, her steps still excited as she moved along the concrete.

"So tonight?" she asked, grinning in both nervousness and elation.

Em nodded. "Yeah, I got Lennox to get the base projector to hook up to my phone too. Should be ready for whenever we decide to do it."

"I'm both terrified and excited for this." Mikayla started. "You know.. cause it's true. And it actually shows death and stuff.. but it's also the best thing ever."

Em shrugged. "We'll just play the first clip, give them a warning, and continue on."

The brunette sighed. "Alright but if anyone gets PTSD from this, I'm telling them it was your fault."

She rolled her shoulders, looking back at the girl as they trudged towards the main hangar. "Sure, alright."

Mikayla faltered slightly, before moving forwards quickly to catch up with her friend. The two walked past a few soldiers they had made friends with in the past few months, and even a few of the newbie recruits- fresh out of high school. They hadn't gotten a chance to introduce themselves yet, but they knew the girls as 'hands off', thankfully. The two had even heard of a girl who had been recruited- but they hadn't had the chance to investigate that yet.

Arriving at the hangar, the two were met with the familiar sight of Jolt & Mirage in the back corner- still working on their project. No one knew what it was, but it seemed important to the two. Every time the girls were in the hangar, they'd see them working.. no one really knew if they had gotten any sleep in months.

Red had tried many times to get them to recharge, but everytime he did- all he would receive would be testing glares. He stopped trying after a week.

"Hey guys." They heard from besides them, and they simultaneously turned to see a familiar face standing besides them on the railing.

Em gave him a smile. "Hey Glenn, what's up?"

Still dressed in his work clothes- having to be 'formal' since it was still a Friday- the man sighed. "Usual. But I have some time off today since there's not much going on. Thought I'd chill here before the kid arrives."

E nodded. "Sounds fair enough."

"Hey, do you have any free time tonight?" Mikayla asked casually, resting her hands on the handrail. "We were planning to set something up for the originals & the 'bots."