Part Fifteen

I woke up the next morning in Boston's guest bed. I guess he moved me in the middle of the night. It wasn't hard to do since I was so small. I sat up on the bed. It was a nice room. It had a blue bedspread with pillows to match and it even had a little tv in the corner. I sat on the bed for a while before actually getting up. I finally decided to get up and went to the kitchen. Jennifer was in there, cooking. I smelled the deliciousness that filled the room. I haven't had a real home cooked meal since grandma's house. I missed her. She turned around from the stove. "Oh, good. You're up! How did you sleep?" She asked me. "The best sleep I've had in a while." I said. "You're gonna love breakfast. I'm making my famous biscuits and gravy!" She said and smiled. Boston walked in wearing his robe. He walked over to the coffee maker. "Morning honey, morning Alice." He said and poured himself a cup. I walked over to the table and sat down. Boston came over and sat next to me. "Alright, it's done!" Jennifer said and put the pot of gravy and a plate of biscuits in front of us and sat next to Boston. She handed out plates. "Help yourself." She said. I grabbed a biscuit, put it on my plate, and heaped a large spoonful of gravy on my plate. I looked around at them. They were so caring and full of love. Could this be what having a real family was like? I quickly shook the thought away. I couldn't get used to it. I'd be home by Sunday and they would be gone. But at least I had them for now. I could hang on to the moment while it lasted.

When we were finished, we put our plates in the sink. "So, what do you guys wanna do today?" Jennifer asked. "Actually, I have to go take Bill pick up his car at noon. Looks like you two have a girls day." Boston said. Jennifer looked at me. "Oh, this will be so fun! We can go shopping and go out to eat.. of course, if you want to.." She said, kinda slowing down. "Of course, I'd actually love to!" I told her she smiled. "Go get dressed and we'll meet back down here in thirty minutes?" She asked. I nodded and went to the guest bedroom. I threw on my plain green shirt and the ripped jeans from last night. They were the only pair I had. I went to the bathroom and ran a brush through my hair. It was tangled and frizzy but I managed to make it look a little better. I brushed my teeth in the non cracked mirror with not bugs. I put on my converse and went downstairs to sit on the couch with Boston. I had only been fifteen minutes. "You excited?" He asked. I nodded. I really was. I'd never really been shopping or gone out to eat. And I had a feeling I wouldn't forget this one time that I did.