Part Twenty Three

There was a knock on the door in the other room. Thank God. Uncle Will looked up and the mean look in his eyes died down. He took one more nasty look at me and stormed out, slamming the door. Heard some muffled talking for what seemed like forever. I looked out the window to see if Jack was still there. I couldn't see him. A tear rolled down my cheek. That's what I get for being such a fool, believing I could even have a normal life with normal friends like Jack. Pst. It must've been my imagination. Then louder, psssstt. I sat up and looked back out the window. Jack was there. "What was all that? Are you alright?" his eyes were wide. I wiped my tears. "That was nothing, I'm okay. Really." I told him. "Hey, Alice, I-" He was interrupted by Uncle Will telling from the living room. "Alice, Ted's here!" he called. Yes, Ted. He was supposed to come by every other month to check on me. I turned from Jack. "I gotta go." I told him. He nodded and just sat down. "What are you doing? Are you crazy? Do you know what he'd do to me if.." I stopped myself and hesitated. "Alice! Come on, now!" I flinched at my name. I looked at Jack and his question filled eyes then went to the living room.
To my luck, the one and only Ted Darren was sitting there on the nasty matted couch. He had dropped me here and he was the closest thing I've seen to sanity, of course before this weekend. "Hello Alice, I just thought I'd drop in.. With school being out and all." he said. I waved a little. "Mr. Johnson, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to talk to Alice in private." Ted said. Uncle Will looked at him and lit a cigarette. He stood up and went outside. Ted turned to me. "So, Alice, how's school? Your grades?" he asked. "They're good. Straight A's." I told him. He nodded. "Doesn't surprise me, you've always been smart. How are your friends?" He usually never askes me about my friends. Something was up. I thought back to his question and thought of Jack. "They're great. Ted, what's wrong?" I flat out said. He looked at me with a face of relief, as if he didn't know how to bring it up. He cleared his throat. "Well, Alice. There's been a claim on you." He said. Claim? I was up for adoption? "By who?" I asked. He positioned himself. "By Jimmy Molina. Alice, your father has claimed you."