Part Twenty Five

The car ride was nerve wrecking. I couldn't help but tug at my dress. I tried to remember what my mom told me. She drove him out with alcohol. She was the one who killed herself. I choked back the tears. "Are you nervous?" Ted asked me. "She wasn't murdered, was she?" I changed the subject. He frowned. "Truthfully, no. She died of alcohol poisoning." He told me. Finally some kind of truth. I tried hard not to hate my dad. Everything I thought about him abandoning me was a lie. We pulled up to some Mexican restaurant. I love Mexican food but I've never been to this place before. We got out of the car. I noticed a small stain on the dress but I tried to ignore it. "He's already inside." Ted told me. I shook a little. Ted opened up the door for me and I stepped in, noticing the breeze of the a.c. compared to the hot summer sun outside. "Jimmy Molina." Ted told the waiter. "Right. Right this way." The waiter said and lead us to a table. I felt this terrible lump in my throat that wouldn't go away no matter how much I tried. There was a man sitting at a booth in the back he lead us to. "Mr. Molina?" Ted said and the man, my dad, looked up. He looked straight at me and started to cry. He stood up. It must've been a strange sight to see a man that big cry but I didn't notice. I started crying too. "Is this Alice?" He asked Ted. "Yes sir it is." He told him. "Alice, can I hug y-" he started to ask before I wrapped my arms around him. He hugged me back. We eventually let go and sat down. My dad wiped his tears. "I'm sorry Its just- you look just like your mother in that dress. I can't believe my little Alice has grown so much." He said. "I understand this must be a very emotional time for you, Jimmy." Ted told him. The waiter came back. "Alright, today's special is the enchilada platter with rice and beans. What can I get you guys to drink?" He asked. "Dr. Pepper for me." Ted said. I studied my father. He was a big guy, not fat but buff. Strong looking. "And you?" The waiter asked me. "Oh, uh Sweet Tea." I told him. He scribbled it down. "Alright my name is Nick, let me know when you're ready to order." He said and walked away. My dad was looking over the menu. I already knew I wanted quesadillas.. always my go-to. I studied him some more. He had blond hair and green eyes. A strange combination I guessed. He didn't look old enough to be a parent especially to a 16 year old. Probably because he didn't have to raise one. I must've gotten my blonde hair from him. Mom was a brunette. We ordered and waited for our food, nibbling on chips and salsa. "So, let's talk business first or feelings first?" Ted asked after a while. "Alice, can I just apologize for leaving you with your mom for all those years? I should've never walked out that door and Ted has told me so much about you. If I could turn back time, I would. But now, I wanna make it up to you. This is a long shot but- I'm sure living with Will is fun but would you wanna live with me? I know it's soon but I have a nice house and a wife now and she's heard about you and she's welcome to the whole idea and- my god, is it hot in here?" He asked, taking a sip of his drink. "Anyways, you can say no but we just moved in town and I heard Will was here from my brother in law and well.. He said you lived with him. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma though sweetie." He was sweating now. I bet I looked stupid just staring at him but I'd never had a dad, barely even a mom. "I know it's a bunch to ask but only if you're up to it." He said finally. I snapped out of it. "Really? You want me to move in?" I asked him. "Only if you're up to it." He repeated. I've never had anyone want me before. "But if you don't I und-" "Yes! Yes, of course! I've been dreaming if this all my life. Do you know how bad it is at Uncle Will's? He hits me! All the time and he gets drunk and he makes me wear old clothes and I have to work for soap-" I stopped myself. Uh oh. Ted looked at me in shock. So did my dad. Uncle Will was gonna be so pissed at me.