Part Twenty Four

I just sat there in shock. My mouth was wide open. "My father? As in the guy who left me and my mom? Why?" I asked him. There's gotta at least be a good reason for that. Either way, it should be better than living here with Uncle Will. "Well, yes. But the only reason he left was because your mother was an alcoholic and she wouldn't let him have you." He said. "No, she wasn't an alcoholic. He left because he didn't want anything to do with me." I started to cry. Mom and grandma couldn't have been lying to me for that long. "I'm sorry, Alice. He would like to explain everything in person tomorrow or even tonight if you're ready." He said. I wiped my tears. I nodded. I guess I deserved to know the truth. Or at least what he thought was the truth. "Great, he would like to see you tonight if you don't have any plans." He said. What even are plans? "Yes sir, that's fine." I said. My throat had a lump in it too big to swallow. "Sounds great. I will be here at 5:30 to pick you up, dress nice. We have a surprise for you." He told me. I nodded. He got up and walked to the door. "I look forward to it." he said and walked out. I couldn't believe this was happening. I could finally get out of here. I went back to my room and shut the door. Jack was gone. I picked apart at all my outfits but I had one that I knew for sure I was going to wear. It was a simple blue dress that belonged to my mom. I found it in grandma's room just before I left. I hid it in my pillow case just so I could have the feeling of my mom being with me every night. I slid it on. It fit like a glove on me. Like it was sewn around me. I waited around for a while and wondered what Jack might be doing. I eventually got so bored of waiting that I fell asleep.
I dreamt of my mom. She appeared in that same blue dress but she looked young and healthy. "Mom?" I called out. She seemed miles away but u could see her clearly. We were in some sort of a white room. "Alice." She said back, her voice full of love. I ran to her and hugged her. She stroked my hair. "Dad claimed me." I told her. She did a little laugh. "So I've heard. Are you going to give him a shot?" She asked. I stood back. "He says you were an alcoholic." I said and looked down. She looked at me with a caring motherly face. She put her hand under my chin and lifted my head up. "Alice, the whole purpose of a mother is to always protect their children. By refusing to let your father have you, I was not protecting you. I put you in harms way. It got worse after your father left. I was slowly dying and I knew I had to leave you so you wouldn't have to see me die. You have always been the most important thing to me, Alice. Never ever forget that." She said. I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I half wanted to scream at her at why she lied to me or why alcohol seemed more important than me. But I just wanted to hug her and have her for the moment. I hugged her again. "Alice, make time for your true friends. That Jack guy looks like a keeper. And always keep your head up. " She said. I nodded and buried my face in her dress. "Oh and Alice get up you're gonna be late!" She screamed at me. I woke up and she was gone. Uncle Will screamed, "Get up or you're gonna be late!" I bet he couldn't wait for me to leave. But also he wouldn't get my child support money. I stood up and went to the bathroom. I brushed through my hair and put it up in a braided ponytail. Jackie taught me how to after finals. I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I went back to my room and put on my converse, the only shoes to my name. I walked out into the living room. "What kind of whore store did you get that dress from?" Uncle Will asked. I looked down. Always keep your head up. "It was my mom's." I told him. "Figures." He grumbled. There was a knock on the door. I took a deep breath and opened it. "You ready, Alice?" Ted asked. I nodded. "Alright, we're going to meet him there." He said. I nodded and got into his car. I was so nervous I couldn't think straight. Always keep your head up. And that's what I did.