Prologue

That little girl there? That's me when I was about 8. My name's Alice Molina. My father, Jimmy Molina, took off and left me and my mom, Rita Johnson, alone when I was 4. I guess my mom was pretty shaken about it because she left to go after him not long after so I lived with my grandma. One day, Grandma had received a letter that my mom had been murdered in the motel she was staying at. Grandma was the only other family I had known so it was clear that I would stay with her. She eventually became old and had a heart attack. It was a really hard time for me. Just watching her lay in bed for a few weeks, being inactive. And just like everyone else in my family, she was gone. I was about 8 when she passed away. She was always so kind to me. The day after she passed, some men in suits came and picked me up from school. They said they were with CPS or something like that. "Where are you taking me?" I asked them. "A new home." The big one said. They took me home and made me pack a bag. They drove me to an old beat up trailer park. We pulled up to the ugliest trailer and got out. The driver, Ted, and I got out of the car. Ted knocked on the door. A man came out. He was balding on the top and he had a serious beer gut. He was wearing a wife beater tank top that was stained with brown spots all over it. He had a cigarette in his hand. "What? What do you want?" He asked. Ted coughed and asked, "Are you William Johnson?" I really wish I knew who this man was. I was missing Hannah Montana. Plus this guy really stunk. "Who's asking?" He asked back in a rude tone. "My name is Ted Darren. And this is Alice Molina, your niece." He explained. This guy was my uncle?! Are you kidding me?! "Um, hi." I said and stepped forward. "Is this Rita's child?" He asked and looked at me. Ted nodded. "What do you want me to do with her?" My uncle asked. "Well, you are the only known living family that she has left. We were wondering if you could, maybe, take her in?" Ted asked. "Okay, Ted Darren," he said his name in an ugly tone, "I'll have to ask if any money is involved in this, uh, arrangement?" He asked. Ted looked at him. "Well, not necessarily. You will receive child support but that money goes only towards Alice." He said. My uncle nodded and smiled. "Of course I'll take care of her.' He stuck his hand out to me. I shook it. It was big and rough. "Hello Alice, I am your Uncle Will." He said. I replied, "Hi." "Okay, well, you two can get better acquainted and I'll be back in around an hour." Ted said. I wish he didnt have to leave me with this guy. Ted got in the car and pulled out, leaving me behind with my bag and my new home. "Rule number one: Don't bother me. Not when I'm sleeping, not when I'm eating, and especially not when I'm watching tv." Uncle Will said as we walked into the house. He walked me to a room in the back. "You will stay here. No getting up before 9:30am on weekends and be in your room by 8 pm every night. Lights out by 9.. the rest is your call." He said. I looked around. There was a small bed and a small closet. It was a small room with barely enough space to turn around in. I sighed and sat on the bed. This was my new home. My new life.