Alone

MEREDITH'S POV

I made my way from the car at 8:12 am, knowing that I had only 3 minutes to get to the locker room before Bailey would come in and notice I wasn't there. I grabbed whatever I needed from the back of the car, my coffee being the most important and legged it to the front of the hospital. I remembered as soon as I arrived at the entrance that I had forgotten the porridge I had made to bring to work but since I didn't have any time whatsoever to run back and get it, let alone each it before rounds started, I decided against trailing all the way back to my car. I would just have to get some pancakes or something from the canteen whenever I had a break, which wasn't often. I slipped the piece of my curtain fringe behind my ear whilst fast walking down the corridor and as I got out of the sight of any possible person who would tell me off for running in the hospital, I began to sprint to the rest of the intern's who should have been 10 metres in front of me. I came to a sudden halt, when I felt a force pound me and I smacked my forehead of another one. 

'Urghh, sorry. I shouldn't have been running.' I apologised, picking up my bag that had slipped from my wrist.

'It's okay, don't worry, you're clearly in a hurry.'

I looked up not taking notice of the beauty that knelt before me, looked back down and the double looked realising that it was the first time I'd seen this face since my confession. The confession that he didn't have a clue about. I was immediately attracted to his baby blue, dreamy eyes that pulled me metaphorically closer and I found myself stuttering, not being able to find the simple words of 'yeah I am.'

He grabbed my hand so tenderly, giving me support as I rose from the ground to the human eye level. The last time we had touched had been hours after the crash and moments after our encounter where I was going to take a leap of faith and place my lips on his. 

'Hi, I...I-ehm, I've got to get to rounds.' I stuttered, his hand still twisted around mine and my bag in his hand. He gave my fingers a small, comforting, long awaited squeeze as our hands came apart and he brought out his other up to pass me back my things. Derek flashed me a quick smile as I headed behind him and ran to the locker room, 1 minute late. Thank God Bailey wasn't there yet because I would've been on scut whether she had sympathy for me still or not. Thankfully, I was probably going to be put back on someone's service and get to scrub in. Cristina, Izzie, George and Alex all greeted me with sympathetic eyes and went to start a conversation with me but before they could, in walked 'The Nazi'.

'Karev, your with Harper. Yang your with Burke. Stevens and O'Malley, your with me and Grey your with Shepherd.'

My heart sunk knowing that I was going to have to spend the whole day with him. Knowing that all those feelings I had for him, hadn't disappeared and us both being aware that our partners weren't in this hospital. I gave Cristina a look of 'switch with me !' but I knew fine well she would not ever sacrifice a cardio day for anything, not even me. I was stuck. Do I ask Izzie or George to switch with me? But then there was no way I was doing scut or whatever Bailey had in store for them. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad I kept telling myself since he hadn't actually heard anything I said about him and me. He hadn't heard that I wanted us to be together. So maybe everything would be just fine and he probably wouldn't want to bring up the subject either knowing that I knew about the wedding and all. I shuck the fear from my head, quickly threw my jacket from the bench into my locker and whipped up my hair into a low ponytail before walking to see him for the second time in less than 10 minutes. 

Our eyes greeted each other once again, the same way they always had since the day we met. With nothing but lust and love. His raspy voice spoke the words I was glad to hear for a second until he carried on.

'We have a craniotomy scheduled for 10am but I have a meeting in half an hour so do you want to get some breakfast first then you can take these files and go do work ups on them please? Is that okay?'

The thought I had throughout the beginning of the conversation, so far so good, had completely vanished and now I was dreading this breakfast even though I was in desperate need of something to fix the groaning in my stomach. 

'Actually, I brought pancakes with me. I can go and get them then we can eat in my office instead of that loud, stinking canteen.'

His pancakes were divine. My favourite thing to eat actually. How could I turn them down when he had offered plus maybe things were going to be okay between us even if we were with different people. The conversation didn't seem to be awkward yet, at least not from what he was saying, and there would probably be other things to talk about, like surgery. I tried to persuade myself nothing would be uncomfortable. On that thought I politely agreed and we started walking towards the elevator to make our way upstairs. 

Despite the fact, I would have liked more than anything to delete the image of his handsome, chiselled, spotless body out of my head, all I felt was tension. Sexual tension. Why in the world was I thinking this when I never had before? We'd never kissed. We'd never had sex. He had been so respectful to me and not forced me. Was it the moment we had together but we were ripped apart that I was longing for once again because nothing else made any sense anymore. I felt my mind wander into his eyes and watch his lips in awe, hoping they would soon be pressed against mine. 

We had entered the elevator all in the time that I had been fantasising about him and he was now stood approximately 15cm from my side. Like I had thought, anything could happen and now we were alone. With nothing to interrupt. Except the elevator bell, that we were now inside of. We were alone inside of an elevator with the possibility of anything happening and my mind began wandering.