Chapter 20

Spotting Kate in the campus' courtyard, Sam approached her while he was on his way to the business department building in the east of the campus.

"Kate." He called politely, one hand in his pocket and the other holding onto the strap of his bookbag.

"Sam, uh, hey." Kate smiled a little, surprised to see him after a while.

After Sam's confrontation with Jordan, he didn't chase after Kate as much as he used to anymore, just offering a smile whenever they'd pass by each other around campus or meet eyes somewhere.

It was a relief for Kate not to be running from him constantly anymore, but at the same time she couldn't help but feel a little guilty, wondering if her actions were too cold and rude to Sam.

Her friends had told her that running away from him isn't all that bad, but it was obvious, painfully obvious, that Kate was avoiding him. There was one time when Camille suggested in just trying to build a friendly relationship with Sam to which Iris countered very loudly that it was close to impossible.

Close to impossible, but not entirely. Camille remarked that time and her words stuck to Kate as she'd recall the agreement of staying friends with each other just before she and Sam broke up.

"Not running away today?" Sam jokingly chuckled although his smile was a little sad that just made her feel sheepish.

"Sorry."

"No, no, that's okay! I can understand, really." Said Sam, his smile widening a little more, "I still have to get to Stats so I'll just be quick, I'm sure you're busy too."

Kate watched as Sam ran a hand through his hair, his other hand playing with the little tag on his bag and from the years she's known him, Kate could immediately tell it was one of Sam's nervous ticks acting up and she wondered what it was he had to say to make him so nervous.

"Listen, uh, I know I told you I want to get back together with you, but I'm not gonna force you into a relationship. And I don't know what's going on with you and Jordan either, but I know you're not dating. Because if you were then you would've told me because I know you wouldn't hide something like that."

Kate didn't say anything and just continued to listen, knowing he was right anyway, she wouldn't let Sam run after her like a lost puppy and lead him on if she really was with Jordan, she wasn't that heartless.

"But that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop trying. I really want to start over with you, Kate. I want to treat you better and in the way you deserve. I won't run after you anymore cause I know it makes you uncomfortable, but can - can we atleast be friends? I really miss having you as a friend."

The soft look in his eyes and sincere expression made her heart throb, Kate felt like she was looking at a child asking for one last cookie with big eyes and a small innocent smile. She thought after everything, after their break up, Kate would be able to say no a little better, but the longer she stared at Sam the more her resolve crumbled.

Kate knew once her friends found out they'd just disagree, but thinking back, Kate and Sam had a pretty good friendship to start with so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea.

"Getting free food whenever I want again doesn't seem so bad." Kate jokingly chuckled making Sam's face brighten as he chuckled.

A hopeful bright smile pulled up on Sam's lips, "Friends?"

"Friends." Kate nodded and the two smiled at each other silent for a little while, Sam just adoring Kate with his eyes until he was pulled out of his trance, "So, class?"

"Huh? Oh, shit, yeah." Sam remembered, a sheepish grin on his face, "I'm really glad you said yes to being friends. I'll see you around, Kate."

Kate waved as Sam sped off hurriedly as a little smile stretched onto her lips. At least now they could try to be civil, although Kate wondered just how civil could they get exactly. The uncertainty of it worrying her a little.