Chapter 18

"He said what?"

"Oh my god, what did you say?"

The sound of the weights clanging against the surface echoed lightly around the gym as the six girls clad in leggings and sports tops stretched their limbs on yoga mats on the ground.

It's been two days since their camping trip with the sudden addition of Jordan and his friends and two days since Jordan asked Kate the question from that night.

Twisting to the left to stretch her hips, Kate turned back to the circle of girls, "I didn't say anything, no, I didn't know what to say."

"Dude, what do you mean you don't know?" Elisha furrowed her eyebrows.

"You could've said no. Or you're not sure." Iris agreed.

Camille shushed the other girls who were expressing their opinions a tad too loud and was earning glances from other gym members, "If you didn't know what to say, what did you do, Kate? Obviously you didn't just stare at him in silence, right?"

"Well no." Kate shrugged and gave a guilty wincing look, "His question took me by surprise, I didn't expect him to ask me that so suddenly! All I managed to say was something along the lines of "I'm tired, I think I'm going to sleep. You should too." And a very very fake yawn and just running away from the situation."

The girls looked at her with a grimace, "Ooh. Walked out on, ouch." Mae tutted.

"I can see Jordan's face, must've looked like a sad puppy." Leigh shook her head slowly.

Kate frowned at her friends, "Hey, I'm already feeling bad as it is. I know it was wrong to just run away from it."

"Well, it's not really all that wrong." Elisha quipped as she stretched her arms over her head, "I mean, he did just drop the question all of a sudden. And it's not like he knew the whole story between you and Sam to be able to ask you that."

"She has a point." Camille nodded in agreement.

"I know that, but I just feel bad. Jordan's been nothing but sweet and caring and all I did was chicken out and run away."

Sighing, Mae got off her mat and started to roll it up, "Alright, let's put it this way. Let's say you didn't run away and stayed there. Would you be able to answer Jordan?"

Kate paused from her stretches wondering what would've been her answer to his question. Admittedly it wasn't like Kate never thought about the possibility of getting back together with Sam, considering that he was a nice person and a very good boyfriend anyway except for the part where they broke up.

But that was when they were fresh from the breakup, not five months later and with Jordan Turner and his charming smiles making Kate's heart skip beats and her stomach fill with butterflies.

Letting a breath out, Kate shrugged cluelessly, "Honestly girls, I don't know. I really don't."

"I'm grateful having met Jordan, but at the same time I can't help but think what if, you know? What if Jordan didn't ask me out and Sam tells me he wants to get back together. Would I have said yes on the spot? No. But would I think about it? Yeah..."

The girls glanced at each other then looked back at Kate, "Are you still in love with Sam, Kate?"

"What? No, no.." Kate trailed off, "I - I don't think so atleast. I mean, do I still have feelings for Sam? Alright, fine, yes. But I have moved on from our relationship, I'm over that. But over Sam entirely? Well, I - I just don't know."

They all gave Kate sympathetic smiles and huddled closer to her to hug her comfortingly. The girls understood Kate's situation, it's not a problem they haven't had their fair share in and they were going to do their best to be there for Kate and help her through it.