Chapter 5: Crowded pain

MARCO'S POV

I'm impatiently waiting backstage at the boys' concert. I keep staring at my watch, stressed out because they're late. I gave them the whole afternoon to try to find Niall. We hid him too well, we erased all the proves, and they won't find him. 

I smirk to myself as I finally see the boys arrive with sad looks on their faces.

“Finally, you're here.” I say, pushing them to the dressing room. “Come on, get dressed and let's get ready to go on stage!”

Louis abruptly stops walking and turns around.

“Marco, we can't go on stage!” Louis screams, obviously not able to contain his anger. “Niall is missing! We went to his house and it's empty, there's nothing left! We texted and called him a million times and he won't answer! Listen, something bad probably happened to him! We have to find him!”

Louis stares into my eyes for a long time. "Niall better keep ignoring the calls." I think as I hold on his glance. 

“You four are going to get dressed, get your makeup on, go on stage and sing.” I reply trying to stay calm.

“Marco, you don't seem to get it.” Zayn says, stepping beside Louis. “We can't go on stage and sing without Niall! He's gone missing, we have to find him now!”

“We had a deal, boys.” I say, clenching my teeth. “You had the whole afternoon to get Niall back and if you didn't, you would go on stage and sing without him.”

I look around.

“I can see that he's not back, that means you go on stage.”

Louis gives me an aggressive look.

“Fine.” he says.

LOUIS' POV

I'm looking each side of me. I can tell that the boys have not their heart into singing right now. The screams of the crowd are echoing in my ears as we, Harry, Zayn, Liam and I, sing Little Things' chorus. 

We're hidden in the dark of the stage, only weak spotlights lighting us up. We're singing without emotions. It feels so weird to sing without Niall. His voice is so unique that it's so obvious when he's not singing with us.

I keep singing as I stare into the crowd, trying to see if anyone noticed something different.

Suddenly, we all stop singing. The spotlight gets brighter and the music keeps playing. It's Niall's part. 

I don't know what to do. I just want to collapse and cry. Where is our poor Nialler..?

We all look at each other, we weren't ready for this.

The crowd slowly fades out. They're finally completely silent. There's not a scream, not a word being said. It's a dead silence. 

Out of sudden, a girl screams:

“Where's Niall?!”

The whole crowd starts to chant: 

“Niall! Niall! Niall!”

I watch the boys from the corner of my eyes, too emotional to even do something.

Suddenly, I see Harry dropping his microphone on the stage. He stares at the crowd for a long time, all of them going back to silence, then loses it.

He bursts out crying and runs out of stage. I can't move, my feet are stuck on the ground. My eyes are tearing up as I see Liam and Zayn following Harry out of stage. 

The crowd doesn't understand what's going on, they're all standing in front of me, waiting for something to happen.

I open my mouth and say with an uncontrollably shaking voice;

“Niall is gone missing...”

My voice strangles and a tear falls down my face without warning.

“Sorry for wasting your night...”

I drop my microphone and run out of stage, the tears sliding like falls.

The crowd is silent for few seconds after my words. Then I hear the crowd going loud again. They scream of fear and I can hear a lot of them crying. It's a big fuss. To the hear of the million footsteps, I guess they're all running to get out of the arena.