Chapter 4: Denial

NIALL’S POV

I'm lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I'm remembering the good times with the boys. When we were put together at boot camp back in 2010, and the X-Factor performances. I remember the tears when we were eliminated and the joy when we were signed. The excitement of our first song, our first music video, our first album and our first tour. A smile crosses my face as I remember our first Brit Award, and a tear falls down when I realize all of this is over.

Why do I keep doing that to myself? I just can't stop thinking about all of this. I was living the dream... but lost it all. I should've stayed to my first affirmation; this doesn’t happen to people from Mullingar.

As I beg my mind to stop torturing myself, something vibrates on the table beside my bed; my cell phone.

I take it slowly and look at the text message I just got.

My heart skips a beat. It's Harry. "Where you at, Nialler?! We're so worried! Come back now!"

There's a fight inside of my head. My heart wants to reply so badly "I'm in Mullingar, Harry! I'm alright! Come and take me! Please help me, Harry!"

But my conscious knows it's wrong. If I talk to Harry, Marco and the rest of the management will learn about it and they'll trap me! I'm afraid.

I've been raised being told to follow my heart, but I think this time this rule no longer works. I have to go with my mind.

I delete Harry's message and sadly put it back on the table. I fall back on my pillow and scream my lungs out into it.

ZAYN’S POV

The boys and I just arrived at Niall's house. I slowly walk to the front door and knock. Nothing. 

“Niall? It's me, Zayn! Let us in!”

Still nothing. I turn to the boys and they frown.

I take the doorknob and delicately turn it. Strangely, the door is not locked. I get it and the boys follow me. 

“Niall?” I whisper.

My mouth drops to the floor as we walk into the living room. All the furniture is gone. The house is empty. My heart starts to beat faster as I start to run in the house, the boys doing the same.

Everywhere I go, in every room, in every corner, there's nothing. No furniture, no clothes, no notes, nothing.

“NIALL?!”

I'm getting breathless of anxiety. I find the boys in Niall's bedroom, all of them as worried as me.

“But what in hell happened here?!” Louis exclaims trying to hide his shaky voice.

“There's not a thing left! Where did he go last night instead of taking our car?!”

“I don't know but I don't like this.” I reply, containing my tears. “Did he tell any of you he'd move? He would've called to tell us where he is or something! He can't be gone like that, leaving his house empty without any clues!”

“That's so weird; he knows we have a concert tonight.” Harry tells, himself also anxious. “The door wasn't locked, maybe some thieves took away his stuff?! Marco told us he'd be back! Where is he?!”

“We have to call him now, our deadline is almost over!” Liam says. “I'm so confused, something bad maybe happened to him! Maybe he got kidnapped or something along with his entire house?! He probably got home last night and some people had followed him! Oh my God, we have to find him!”

I take out my phone and hardly dial Niall's number. My hand shaking, I put the phone on my ear and wait for an answer.

NIALL’S POV

The time passed by but I didn't even notice. It's about 5 o'clock and I'm cooking something easy to eat. I'm so weak; I have done anything of the whole day except from thinking about the boys. Deleting Harry's text message was like killing a puppy. It made me cry, again.

As I try to chase away this thought from my mind, I hear a ring.

I run to my bedroom, happy to know maybe someone wants to talk to me, to know I'm not alone.

I take my phone and my throat tightens. My mouth goes dry and I fall on my weak knees. 

Not again. No. Zayn's calling me. I can't dismiss his call. It's real torture. I want to talk to him! I want to hear his voice cheering me up, I want to hear him tell me he'll come and get me, that it's going to be alright, that it's all a nightmare and that I'm still in the band.

But I can't. 

I'm on my knees, the ring of my phone echoing through my room. Suddenly, it stops ringing. 

Water flows out of my eyes, hopeless.

I curl up on myself when I hear Zayn's worried, shaky and full tears voice leaving this message into my voice mail;

"Nialler, wherever you at, please call back! Your house is empty and we're so worried about you! Please tell us you're alive and alright! We love you so much..."