11 : knights and skeptics

SCOUT

Felix and I walk in silence towards the training field. The sun is setting in the west, dividing the sky into blotches of orange and peach. It's a little too pastel for my taste, but I'm sure Alexia would love it. I'm starting to really get attached to the future queen. It hurts my pride but I think I misjudged her when we first met. She has potential, that I knew, but her stability and quick wit is something to be admired. She just might be the first girl I can truly call a friend.

She's removed from the Hollywood ideals that so many girls idolize. Honestly, just in the few times we've talked I feel a little more comfortable in my own skin. I've never really fit in with the female gender roles because it's just not me. Maybe it's because I've never allowed myself to be open with most people but I could see right through many of them anyway.

The warriors are grouping up when we reach the top of the hill overlooking the training grounds. It's not too tall of a hill, but it is the perfect spot to spectate from. Just as any battle, the training grounds are as chaotic as a superhero movie. Leon appears to managing the three ranks well, despite the sporadic assortment. The third rank is doing drills and jogging in between. Their wolves dart and skid in formation on the course. It's almost like a trust exercise because if someone isn't focused and loses the pace, they'll mess up everyone behind them. The second rank is sparring in human form with equipment and weapons. Even though it looks less intimidating than the blur of wolves braving the obstacle course in the background, it is just as serious. There are real weapons and real pain. This is even more obvious as I land my eyes on the first rank—the whole reason we're here.

"Which ones do you think are possible contenders?" I inquire, trying to focus on each member. Today a new castle guard will be appointed. The title is one of the highest in the royal pack. Guards must be both highly skilled at fighting and dedicated because they are entrusted with guarding the castle, similar to the knights of medieval ages who swore to protect the lord's kingdom.

Felix points out a few people to me but he seems to be only focusing on one subject. A dark-haired male of high stature. My eyes follow him as they break into separate groups. As he turns, I notice the markings along his left arm and something dangling from his ear. I squint, trying to make it out when his stern, wintery eyes lock with mine. The eye contact is brief but a weird feeling washes over me. A feeling that I can't label as good or bad yet, meaning nothing right can come from this. If he intended to discourage me, I'm only more curious.

Watching everything unfold excites me. My pack back at home is much smaller and calm. We have a similar setup, but we're so far removed from other packs that we hardly have any confrontation from outside threats. I note that this should stand as a reminder to me that I need to get my pack in better shape. I know about the mutiny and destruction going through the packs. The bloodshed and disparity is sickening.

Layla and Colton join us momentarily at the top of the hill and I nod towards them when they greet me. Layla is an interesting beta female with her light eyes and pale blue-streaked blonde hair. I don't know her that well, but I've deduced that her durability can be sometimes undermined by her spontaneity. She's not originally from this pack, but joined when she met Colt. For the life of me, I can't remember why I haven't taken the time to get to know her better.

Colton, on the other hand, I've known forever. Flag football and treehouse memories that always took an interesting turn come to mind when I think about our past. Car and I used to spend our summers here when we were young. While my brother would educate himself on his summer reading (The Crucible, The Great Gatsby, and a whole lot of Shakespeare), I'd cut up with Felix's group of friends. There weren't many of us but we made it work and always found time to stir up trouble. I could go on about the adventures we had and the treasure maps we miscalculated but the gist is he's a great guy–one of a select few that actually understands Felix and it's because they grew up together. Through the bumpy road that is my cousin's past, Colton stuck with him. It's amazing, actually, because Felix is a piece of work and always has been.