27: into the twilight

FELIX

I wake up next to her again. Gorgeous as ever with her hair covering half her face. Gently, I push it back and she cuddles closer. The air is getting chillier as the seasons change, but I've never felt more warm.

I watch her for a while, letting my fingers get trapped in her hair. I still don't know why she continues to choose me, but I'm utterly dedicated to her. If she had some twisted scheme up her sleeve, I'd be at her mercy.

She shifts, waking up again. 'Should we actually get up this time?'

I cradle her against me, rubbing my nose gently against hers. 'Well, we already missed the meeting at this point.'

'Oh, shoot.' Her green eyes meet mine longingly. They hold no hint of true concern.

I smile at that and kiss her a few more times. She brushes my bangs out of my face. 'Should we go take a walk?'

I press my lips to hers again. 'Sure but you have to get up first, love.'

She laughs at that one, her dimples revealing themselves once again. It's so interesting to me. Being with someone that I don't think I'll ever truly tire of having around. Someone that I want to be around all the time. I wouldn't get up from this bed if she wanted to stay here all day.

I let my arm fall, gliding through her hair, as she gets up to go shower. Absentmindedly, I dig through the drawer for my notepad and begin jotting down a few things we need to do in the next meeting. Surely, we won't miss that one, right?

-new oven for kitchen staff
-reinforcing some signs near the left perimeter
-a couple shipments of wool for new families
-more supplies for-

I stop mid-sentence. She's humming in the shower. It's a habit of hers I've learned, but proved to be incredibly distracting. I tune in specifically to her and close my eyes. I think about her last night and a few minutes ago waking her up. How breathtaking. 'You better not take too much longer or you won't be getting out of that shower.'

I hear her drop something and I snort. It's only fair that I tease her occasionally because her mere existence teases me. I think about how much progress she's been making both in her position and with flying. To say I'm proud of her is an understatement. Her emotional stability is beginning to surpass mine. Even my mother made it a point to mention it to me (I might be a bit jealous there). I just want her to be able to achieve whatever she wants.

When she comes out, I barely glimpse at her and b-line straight for the shower. I should have some level of restraint, though it's already waning.

*****
ALEXIA

"Here," He offers his hand, helping me across the creek.

We've been walking along a trail in comfortable silence together. We were apart, but his hand now holds mind captive and I'm not complaining. I remember when I was younger, reaching for my dad's hand because I had to. Now, Felix reaches for mine because he wants to. It's new territory: an open field of wildflowers.

The woods are pretty quiet this afternoon a rare sight indeed. It oddly makes me want to shift and cause a ruckus in such a tranquil forest, but then his hand wouldn't be in mine. "Lex?"

He stops and I turn toward him, meeting his gaze curiously. He presses a palm to my face. "You're not cold, are you?" I blush, shaking my head. "I've been thinking about something, but it's kind of intense to bring up randomly." His palm is warm against my cheek. "What are your thoughts on kids in the future?"

My heart skips a beat.

"I'm mean we kind of discussed it yesterday, but I wanted to really talk about it."