22 : evidence

SCOUT

"Do you really think we'll gather much information out here doing this? God, I hate nature," I don't know how the girl beside me is a trained guard, much less a wolf. "Ah! Was that a spider?!"

"I think we should set up camp here. Julian and I will finish scouting out the area. Make sure you stay in pairs." Nyssa's voice is music to my sore ears. If I had to walk with Sabrina for another step, I think I'd scream, or Sabrina would have a bloody nose. Actually, probably both.

As we're setting up the tents, Crawford joins me. "Do you think we can divide up space a little differently? It won't go well if I have to sleep in the same tent as her."

He sighs but there's a hint of humor in it. "The big tents are divided by gender, Kristen."

I point at the smaller tent to the left. It hasn't been set up yet. "That's your Aunt's tent."

I sigh dramatically, and Crawford shakes his head, only to get up and wander over to the right. I join him and face the fire. "You have to admit they're ridiculous. I mean makeup on a mission like this? And then the other girl with the flats. Who wears sandals to hike through the woods?"

He laughs a little, and I turn towards him to continue, only to see what he's doing. He notices my silence and looks at me. I smile wickedly and the realization hits him. "No."

"Come on! You have your own tent!"

"I'm not sharing."

"But I can't take it! I'm either gonna suffocate them or myself tonight if I have to spend another second in their presence."

His expression remains the same except for a slight twinkle in his eyes. "No, Blondie."

"WHAT did you just call me?!"

"Just the nickname they've given you. Gotta say it's kinda catchy."

I'm still glaring at the back of his neck when Layla approaches—the only other sane girl here. "Hey, it's our turn to use the river if you wanna come."

"No thanks. I'm good."

"Alright," She seems unsure but shrugs it off, trailing behind the other women.

Weird, lip-gloss fashion freaks.

I feel his eyes on me and growl. "What are you looking at? It's cold. I'll go in the morning."

"No."

"What do you mean "no"?" I spin around. "Just because you told me "no" once and our argument got cut off, doesn't mean you won or that you can start calling the shots."

His gaze is just about as stern as mine. "That's when the guys are going," He pauses, then quickly adds: "Besides, you couldn't go alone."

His gaze should piss me off more than it does, but I'm distracted by the uncombed bangs falling into his eyes. Those blue eyes, so earnest.

I break away from the stare without saying anything. I don't know what just happened there, but I'm not boosting his ego or admitting that he looks fine. That's a black hole that can stay in a wormhole to another reality. He pisses me off so much, but why does he have to have good genes?

*****

I don't know how the others let me get away with it, but I struck the spot next to the entrance of the tent. Naturally, once everyone's asleep, I sneak out. After crawling through the entrance, I pay careful attention to the zipper, keeping all sounds to a minimum.

The fire is out, and it's a little eerie. I can still see okay with my enhanced vision, thanks to my wolf, but it doesn't feel safe. I light my lantern and scope out the nearest surroundings before proceeding.