14 : pool party

ALEXIA

"Are you sure-?" Scout nods adamantly while I look over the swimsuit I'd selected from her collection.

"There are other choices if you're uncomfortable, though," She sympathizes but I shake my head.

"No, I like it. It's just I've never worn something like this before." I admit, feeling slightly sheepish.

"Glad I could be of service," I laugh at her response. "Well, I'm going to head down, you coming?" She bends down to fix her shoelace, gravity forcing her hair to tumble forwards. It's weird seeing her in shoes that aren't boots.

"Yeah, I'll catch up. I still need to pin my hair up." I clench a bobby-pin in between my teeth while adjusting various strands.

"Gotcha." She flicks her blonde braid back behind her shoulder as she stands back up. She remains there for a couple seconds before gently nudging me and exiting the room.

A few minutes later, I'm ready to go. I grab a pair of flip-flops and glance at myself in the mirror once more before pulling on a coverup. This is as good as it's gonna get, I guess.

Once I arrive at the outdoor pool, I analyze the scene. The whole gang is here with the exception of Felix.

Tara is sprawled out to tan in a bikini that makes mine seem incredibly modest. Of course, the guys let her be, with the exception of a few cat calls, since she doesn't have a mate. Tyler is being mischievous as usual, probably gaging when to use his next prank. Carpenter calmly floats on one of the inflatable rafts near the edge of the pool, but appears to be focused enough to keep himself from slamming into the siding. Leon and some of the other guys are dominating the diving board, the culprits of the inconvenient waves. Colton and Layla are bickering as usual while hanging in the center with Miles and Tristan. Scout and Gabby are organizing things for the party and I decide to contribute.

I feel a little uncomfortable as I grab a towel, find a clear spot for my stuff, and take off my coverup. Thankfully, no one seems to take much notice. As I pass by the pool, a few people greet me casually as usual. I exhale a breath of relief before entering the kitchen. Yeah, everything's normal.

I still don't know all of the guys well, so there's always some anxiety in general, but it's not anything I can't handle. Gabby greets me, cheerful as usual, and I help her prepare a few things. I wander back and fourth from the kitchen to the outside bar, placing things down. As I do so, I catch practically the whole conversation, or rather argument, between Scout and the DJ. Honestly, I don't even know why she bothered to hire anyone because she's so particular.

As soon as she storms off, focusing her critical gaze on Tyler, who's gotten a hold of super glue, I offer him a glass of lemonade and apologize for Scout. I feel bad for the guy. He's just trying to do his job and I reassure him that she's always like this. While talking to him, I catch onto the the scent of incense. I excuse myself as the butterflies begin to parade in my stomach. I follow the scent to the bar and I'm suddenly yanked behind the structure.

Felix covers my mouth with his palm so I don't yelp out loud. "What's this? A secret interrogation?"

He disregards my comment and pushes me against the wooden wall. "Why are you wearing that?"

"I... it's just a pool party?" I state the obvious. His look is intense and the butterflies take the parade up a notch.

"You avoided the question." He growls and I giggle.

"Well, you avoided mine too. And while we're at it, you're not wearing a shirt. What do you think that does to me?"

"You dressed up and wore lipstick earlier this week for three days and now this? Do you have any idea how attractive you are?"