18 : the first order

ALEXIA

He shuffles over next to me and leads me away from the edge. We lean against the wall and the sound of the water is suddenly starting to have an affect on my ability to stay awake. "I-I have a question."

He shifts to get a better look at me and nods expectantly. "I want to complete it," I confirm. "But I want to know that it is the way you say it will be. You can't lie, cheat, lea-leave..." My voice breaks on the last word. I just couldn't bear it. He has promised it before, but I need the reinforcement.

He lifts my chin towards him and I meet his brooding eyes. "I'm completely and utterly devoted to you, Lexi. There will never be anything or anyone else."

My heart pounds. His response was so honest and sincere. Am I imagining what he just said? His eyes seem to sparkle as he grins at my reaction. That beautiful smile gets to me every time... The few times I get to see it, I'm always reminded that he's an angel because no one is that enchanting. "Now, Sweetheart, we have all the time in the world. But the real question is..." I shiver as his lips brush against my ear. "How long until you cave to the temptation? Not to mention the pain... it'll only worsen."

I turn swiftly towards him, our noses almost touching now. He's taken aback and glances between my lips and gaze. It's my turn to smile. "Are you sure the real question isn't how long can you handle it? If you really were a devil, I don't think I'd have made it-"

He crashes his lips onto mine and I respond, struggling to hold back the laugh that wants to escape. We break apart both breathing deeply. I brush some of his long hair away from his eyes then trace my thumbs along the features of his face. His eyes watch me with just as much caution as desire.

I find myself slowly leaning back towards him. One of his hands suddenly reaches forward against my sternum and gently holds me in place. "Lex, I don't know if I can hold back-" His pupils flick around, searching for something, anything, to distract himself from what's right in front of him.

"I thought we already talked about that?" I giggle and brush my lips against his. His breathing hitches and I break free and dash into the cave.

The bedroom is still dark when I enter. My head bangs internally like I'm slamming into an invisible drum set, but I manage to discard my shirt and jeans. He shows up seconds later and tackles me into the sheets. His affection is earnest but so is mine.

My heart races like I'm on a wild rollercoaster. I finally allow myself to get lost in his very essence; from his enchanting gaze, to his lips, and everything else.

His voice deepens as he looks me over. "Last chance."

I bring his ear to my lips, "No turning back, dark angel."

He meets my lips with fervor and traces my body with his fingertips. I shiver and sense his coy smile without even opening my eyes. His lips travel to the mark he left hours ago. He pins my arms down as he tongues the tender patch of skin. It sends waves of emotion through me and I cling to the sheets, attempting to keep it together. When he pulls back, both my core and back are burning. I've never done anything like this before but I don't know if my back should be on fire.

I tolerate it until I can't anymore. I cup his face in my hands. His gaze is intense but I don't feel self-conscious for crying. It's a different kind of pain that I don't know how to handle.

"What's wrong?" I lead his hands to the burning part of my shoulder blades.

His eyes turn serious and I retract my own hands in horror when I feel something that wasn't supposed to be there. Something coarse but also soft. His kisses my lips once more and I respond but I'm confused. What in the world is going on?