Chapter 1

This is book two. If you haven't read book one "The Magic of Hollywood" yet, you should do so because otherwise this won't make sense.

"Max." I stumble backwards. I can feel Charlie's arms wrapping around me, catching me. I regain my balance but I don't move an inch away from Charlie. This can't be true. Charlie carefully removes his arms from around my waist, making sure I'm not gonna fall. Then he takes a step forward, gently pushing me a little behind him.

A weird expression forms on Max's face. "Aren't you happy to see me Vicky?" I can't say a word. I can't move. I'm frozen in place, only able to watch what's happening around me. This must be a nightmare! He can't possibly be here. I see a movement in the corner of my eye.

Evelyn, my mother, takes a step towards me. Automatically my hands grab for Charlie's arm. This is too much. Why is this happening? Why can't they just leave me be? Charlie shoots me a worried look. I can only imagine what I look like. I feel so powerless, scared and foolish to have believed I could escape them.

"I suggest you leave." Charlie says through clenched teeth. I can tell he's angry. Even though I didn't tell him much about what happened with my reaction just now he knows exactly how bad it was. Evelyn takes another step towards us, which results in Charlie pushing me even further behind him.

An arrogant smile forms on her face. "Really Victoria? You're hiding behind your... what is he even? The next person you can torture?" I catch my breath. What did she just say? My reaction seems to give her exactly what she wanted.

"Did you really think poor Max wouldn't tell me what you did to him?" What I did to him? I didn't do anything to him. I look over at Max who has a satisfied smile on his face. "Make them leave, please." I whisper. I don't know if Charlie even heard me.

For a second no one says or does anything. Charlie takes a deep breath, almost as to calm himself before doing something he will regret. He takes a step towards Evelyn. He looks her straight into the eyes and says, almost painfully slowly. "I said, you should leave. I'm not gonna say it again."

Evelyn's expression changes. For a moment I think she's gonna go full psycho on him but she just takes a deep breath and turns towards Max. "Let's go." He seems to be happy with how this situation turned out. Without saying a word he starts moving.

When he's right next to me and Charlie he whispers "See you soon Vicky." With that he turns towards the door and leaves behind Evelyn.

The second the door closes behind them my legs give away. Charlie catches me, once again, before a fall to the ground. He lifts me up into his arms and carries me over to the couch. Carefully, he places me on the couch. "Vic?" I look up at him. I don't know what to say. What must he think now? This is just crazy! "Thank you." I mumble.

I look over at Jenny, who's still in the exact same spot she was when we entered the club. "J? Are you ok?" She flinches slightly, as if she's been in a trance the whole time. She looks over at me and the second she looks me in the eyes she comes rushing over, sitting down next to me.

"V! I'm so sorry!" I tilt me head. "I should have kicked them out right away!" I shake my head. "We both know they wouldn't have left." - "Than I should have told you to stay away!" Tears start forming in her eyes. I grab her hand. "J. This was exactly what they wanted. They wouldn't have left without hurting me like this."

I can't believe I once believed what Max and I had was love. You wouldn't do that to someone you love! And Evelyn? She's supposed to be my mother! But instead she sides with my psycho ex-boyfriend? I know he's a master at manipulation but she should be on my side. But then again, she's never been on my side. Not before Max, not during our relationship and not after we ended things.

Jenny clears her throat. "I'm gonna go to the back, take a breath." I nod slightly. Once she's out of the room Charlie sits down next to me. I can't bare to look at him. Him knowing I have a difficult past is something completely different than him actually experiencing it.

"Vic, talk to me." He takes my hand into his and starts drawing small circles on the back of it with his thumb. I take a deep breath. "What do you want me to say?" He lifts up my head with his free hand. "Are you ok?" He looks so worried. I thought he'd be... I don't know... freaked out? I shake my head slightly. "I can't believe they're here."

We sit in silence for a little. I don't know how to do this. Breaking up with Max was... it was so hard. But afterwards it was over. How naive was I to think I could actually escape this? I should have known better. He made a promise to ruin my life. I thought he wasn't that big of a psychopath but I guess I was wrong. He came here to finish what he started, to ruin every little piece of happiness I have. I can't go through all this again.

"Vic, you know I got your back right?" For a moment I'm taken by surprise but then I remember the fact that Charlie always seems to know exactly how I feel or what I think. I smile up at him. He brushes a strand of hair out of my face. "I couldn't do this without you." I mumble against his hand on my cheek. "You don't have to. It's our mess, remember?" His hand moves down to my neck and he pulls me closer, kissing me gently.