Chapter 41

"Tori, are you ok?" All eyes turn to me. So far everyone was quiet, no one dared to move or look up from the ground. "Hey, it's all gonna be ok!" Charlie wraps his arms around me and pulls me close to him. Only now I realize I've started shaking.

I knew that day would come eventually, I just didn't think it would come that quickly. But I guess it's better to get it over with as soon as possible. "I just didn't expect it to be so soon, that's all." I shrug my shoulders, trying to sound casual but the fact that

I'm still shaking isn't really helping. "We'll all be there with you V." Jenny reaches for my hand, gently squeezing it. I look up at her, a small smile on my lips. I'm really glad Jenny is back here with me. Out of all of us, she and I know what happened back then best. Even though I didn't tell her much at the time she clearly experienced how I changed in the relationship.

"Let's go home guys, it's pretty cold." Charlie pulls me up with him, placing his jacket around my shoulders. Josh and Jenny walk a little behind us. We're all quiet for the walk home. It's really weird how quickly the mood changed. Two hours ago we were bursting from laughter at the dance machine and now no-one dares to say anything, scared it'll be the wrong thing.

"V, do you need anything before we go to bed?" I shake my head slightly. "No, I'll be fine." Jenny nods at me and gestures for Josh to follow her into their room. "I'll make you some hot chocolate. You wanna go to bed already?" I can tell Charlie's voice is so careful, like I'm fragile. "Thanks... I'll stay with you, if you don't mind."

He walks over into the kitchen to grab the ingredients for my hot chocolate and I sit down at the counter, watching him. Once he's done he hands me the steaming hot chocolate. "I guess it's not as good as you grandpa's... but I tried." The fact that he remembered my grandpa used to make me hot chocolate when I had a bad day or a nightmare alone filled my heart with so much love.

How he's standing on the other side of the counter, hands in his pockets, that little shy smile on his lips... I feel like my heart might explode. My feet automatically jump down from the stool I was sitting on and walk over to Charlie. Without saying a word I just wrap my arms around him and place my lips on his.

After taking a few sips of chocolate I say "Honestly, this can definitely compete with grandpa's." Charlie smiles a little. "You're just say..." I place a finger on top of his lips and shake my head. "No, I'm not just saying that. I'm saying it because it's true."

Without any further contradiction Charlie just sits across from me, smiling, as I sip my chocolate. It's crazy how something as simple as a hot chocolate can calm me down but I guess it's more of the ritual than the actual chocolate that helps. Maybe it's a bit of both because, let's be honest, there's nothing better than a hot chocolate at literally any occasion.

Once I've finished the chocolate Charlie whispers "Do you wanna talk about it?" He looks at me shyly, like he's worried I'll go right back to the mood I was in earlier. Slightly shaking my head I say "I'm fine... honestly, I was just taken off guard about the fact that it's gonna be so soon but I knew it was coming up eventually. With some distance to the news I think it's actually a good thing it's so close. Jenny and Josh are here and we can finally be done with him once and for all."

My voice sound surprisingly strong and that's truly how I feel right now. Of course I was shocked and scared when I heard I only have, well tomorrow, to prepare for the trial, but now that I had time to process it a little I'm ok. "I'm just really glad I got all of you with me through it."

Charlie reaches for my hands as he says "Always... Every step of the way..." A bright smile builds on my lips. I lean closer to Charlie. Before I place my lips on his I whisper "I love you so much Charlie."

When Charlie and I leave his room in the morning Jenny and Josh stop what they are doing and just stare at me. "Oh come on! Don't act like someone died! Tomorrow night we'll celebrate!" I try to sound cheerful and by the looks on their faces I guess I was successful.

Of course I'm worried about tomorrow and of course I can't wait for the day to be over but it's not like I'm the one on trial. Max will finally get what he deserves for treating me the way he did and for blackmailing me, threatening Charlie.

"What do you wanna do today Tori?" Oh I really missed Josh. He's always so positive in literally every situation. And he treats me normal, no matter what. After Max and I broke up he, Jenny and I hung out at her house and he acted like nothing is wrong. He didn't ask any questions, didn't mention Max for once... he just had a fun afternoon with us.

I look at Charlie but he says "Sorry, gotta work today." Playfully I widen my eyes in disbelief. "How dare you?" I can't keep a straight face for more than two seconds. I'm so bad at this. Everyone joins in even though my joke really wasn't that funny but I guess we all take every chance at happiness and laughter right now. I honestly can't wait for tomorrow to be over.