Chapter 3 - Rowhan Vargas

The next morning Greyson prepared to have his breakfast. The atmosphere was calm as most of the pack were still sleeping. Just as he was about to take a seat, the entrance of Connor, broke his train of thought. "Hey, I think I know how to handle the whole mate situation." "Would you keep it down? People might hear you." Greyson hushed, casting a quick glance around the kitchen as if wary of invisible eavesdroppers. Despite his admonishment, he nodded for Connor to proceed, his curiosity piqued by the notion of a potential solution. Connor leaned in slightly, his voice lowered. "Okay, so all you have to do is to ignore her. Just, you know, distance yourself until eventually, the mate bond goes away." He finished with a casual shrug. 

Greyson's brow furrowed as he considered Connor's proposal. The idea of distancing himself from his own mate seemed counterintuitive. A mixture of uncertainty and skepticism flickered in Greyson's eyes. Ignoring someone who had already started to weave her way into his thoughts and emotions wasn't as easy as it sounded. "Connor, I appreciate the suggestion." Greyson began, his voice a mix of gratitude and contemplation. " And you're smart at a lot of things but at this stuff, you're clearly not." "Okay, well I don't see you coming up with ideas." He said, a bit frustrated with his friend. He let out a sigh, hoping to relief some tension within him and with his friend. "But do you really think it's that simple? Ignoring someone who's meant to be your mate?" 

"You can't just ignore the feeling, hoping it goes away. It's not how it works. When my mum and dad were together they couldn't even go a second without each other. Plus, even if I did ignore it, my wolf would go crazy." Connor's gaze met Greyson's, understanding passing between them. "I know it's not easy, Grey. But it might be the best way to protect you in the long run." As the morning sun continued to cast across the kitchen, Greyson couldn't escape the undeniable truth: he was facing atrial of heart and mind that would determine not only his own fate, but that of his newfound mate as well. 

Before his thoughts could continue, a deep, rough voice reverberated through the kitchen. Both Connor and Greyson exchanged a worried look, their expressions reflecting a mixture of apprehension. "Good morning, guys." Christian greeted them with a smile on his face, leaning casually against the kitchen wall. "Hey, uh, Dad, how's it going?" Greyson nervously laugh, his unease palpable. "We were just about to go to school." Connor interjected hastily, seizing their school bags and practically bolting out of the house in a clear attempt to escape the confrontation. Greyson followed suit, having also the same desire to avoid being left alone with his father. 

As they settled into the car and waited for Kai, the tension in the confined space was almost suffocating. Greyson rubbed his temple, his mind racing through possible implications it might have for their secret. "Shit, do you think he knows?" Connor's voice was edged with anxiety, his concern mirroring Greyson's. "I don't know, man. What were you thinking? You made us look even more suspicious. I get the feeling he definitely knows something." Just as Connor was about to respond, Kai entered the car, his demeanor more relaxed. "Dude, you're still on that?" He scoffed as he heard the last few sentences of his friend. "I think you should just embrace it." Kai offered. "Yeah, well, nobody asked for your opinion, Kai."