Chapter 10 - Flashbacks

Christian stood outside the quaint café, his gaze fixed intently on his phone screen as he dialed his older son's number. Thoughts raced through his mind, driven by the hope that Rowhan, as a member of the pack board, could leverage his connections to instigate the change he deemed necessary. "Hey, we need to talk." he greeted, his voice tinged with urgency. On the other end of the line, Rowhan's lips curled into a small smile, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he picked up on his father's tone. "What? No hello, no how are you?" A faint sigh escaped Christian; he brushed past the pleasantries, his focus sharpened on the matter at hand. "We have to talk. It's urgent. I need a favour."

The response on the other end was laced with a hint of playful skepticism. "Mhm, well, what makes you think I'll help you, knowing you barely call and ask for favours? I just hope you know I'll be needing something in return." Acknowledging his son's valid point, Christian pressed on, determination overriding any discomfort he felt about this negotiation. "Fine, I need you to uplift a rule."

Curiosity danced in Rowhan's voice as he inquired further. "What rule?" "Human rule. Wolves are allowed to hang out with human friends and mates." he explained, the weight of the words carrying the significance of change. A brief pause settled between them as Rowhan processed the information. The intrigue in his voice was unmistakable as he probed, seeking to understand the reasons behind his father's plea. "What makes you think I'll do that?" The plea in Christian's tone was palpable as he let out a measured breath, feeling the enormity of the favour he was asking. "Just tell me what I have to do."

The air around Christian seemed to shift, as he was beginning to realize that Rowhan was seizing the moment to advance his own intentions. "Fine. You're going to have to make me the next Alpha of the pack." Rowhan stated, his voice dripping with a confidence that hinted at a hidden agenda. A counterpoint immediately formed in Christian's mind, but he held back the retort, allowing his son to unveil his cards fully. "But that's Greyson's throne!" he protested, a touch of incredulity in his voice.

The smile on Rowhan's face deepened, revealing the pleasure he took in putting his father in a difficult spot. "Well, you're making a deal with the devil. Deal with it or forget it. The rule stays where it is. Goodbye, father." Panic flickered in Christian's eyes as his mind raced to find a way to salvage the situation. The desperation in his voice was evident as he pleaded. "Wait, wait. Don't hang up, fine I'll do it." The tables had turned, and now it was Rowhan's turn to voice his doubts. "How do I know I can trust you?" he questioned, his skepticism clear. Christian's response came from a place of vulnerability. "I'm trusting you. Isn't that enough?" "Actions speak louder than words." Rowhan insisted, his demand unwavering.

Frustration mixed with resignation coloured Christian's tone as he relented. "Fine. I'll write up some consent forms to the board so they'll be informed of your promotion. Instead of working for the board, you'll be the next Alpha." he confirmed, his words carrying the weight of compromise. The negotiation reached its tipping point as Rowhan's terms were met. "Very well. Send the papers to me. Immediately."

Just as the call was about to end, Rowhan's voice stopped Christian in his tracks. "Oh and Chris?" he addressed his father, pausing for emphasis. "Yeah?" A chilling undercurrent of threat tinged Rowhan's words as he issued a warning. "If you ever think of screwing me over, I go to Thailand. I could go there for a holiday but I would much rather want to exterminate your precious lover. The said woman who was 'killed' by a hunter. You got it?" Christian's breath caught, his heart pounding against the weight of Rowhan's words. After a brief hesitation, he managed to swallow his pride and respond. "Yeah, yeah. I- I got it." The conversation ended, leaving a tense uncertainty hanging in the air.

A Few Hours Later 

A triumphant smirk tugged at the corners of Christian's lips as he glanced at the completed forged consent forms in front of him. He snapped a photo of the meticulously crafted documents and quickly sent them to Rowhan, an almost gleeful anticipation bubbling within him. With a few taps on his phone, he initiated the call, eager to confirm that his ploy had reached its intended recipient. "I sent you pictures. Did you receive them?" he inquired. The confirmation came promptly from Rowhan, his voice cool and composed. "Just received, father. Thanks."

Christian chuckled to himself, his amusement hidden behind the line's silence. He gently placed his phone down, his thoughts echoing with the irony of the situation. "The next Alpha, my ass. Oh, how wrong you are." he murmured under his breath, a smug smile curving his lips. His gaze shifted to his safe, a sense of accomplishment coursing through him as he unlocked it and tucked the fake papers securely inside. "Now, where should I put these forged papers?" he mused aloud, his fingers dancing over the lock as he closed the safe's door. "I'm one step ahead of you, Rowhan."

Unbeknownst to Christian, the call hadn't fully disconnected, allowing Rowhan to hear every word he spoke. As he ended the call, satisfaction radiated from him, his confidence unshaken. 

"Au contraire, father." Rowhan's voice resonated, his tone carrying a subtle edge of amusement and challenge.

...

Taking swift action, Rowhan summoned his trusted confidant, Sebastian. As Sebastian approached, Rowhan's demeanor was enigmatic, a smile playing on his lips, his eyes narrowing in the sunlight. "I know that smile. You've got a plan. What happened this time?" Sebastian's curiosity was palpable, his eyes squinting against the sun's brightness. Rowhan leaned in, sharing the intricacies of his recent conversation and the unwitting revelation he had just overheard. "I heard him saying that he's one step ahead of me. I heard him question himself of where to put fake papers and that he accomplished his plan, making me think I'm going to be the one who rules his pack."

Sebastian's reaction was a mixture of surprise and intrigue. "Damn. So, what now?" Rowhan's grin widened, his thoughts racing with vindictive creativity. "Well, first I'm going to make him think that his plan is working. Then, I'm going to Thailand where his beloved lover is." His laughter held a chilling edge as he envisioned the dramatic spectacle he was about to orchestrate. "After that, I was thinking of hanging her up where everybody can see their once lost Luna during my ceremony. What a show!" His amusement was unmistakable as he reveled in the macabre scheme he had devised. "Now, let's go. We have a flight to get to."

Sebastian's surprise lingered as he tried to keep pace with Rowhan's unfolding plan. "Wait, you're going to Thailand now?" A sense of urgency underpinned Rowhan's response, his determination unwavering. "Of course. I'll keep her in the cell, make her weak for a few days. The ceremony is only a few weeks away. You've got to plan ahead." he explained, his smirk a testament to the confidence he held in his impending actions. The two of them set off, his devious plan setting into action.