Chapter 9 - Dead Lover Alive?

The moment Connor barged into his room, Greyson immediately noticed the worried look on his friend's face. He excused himself from Scarlett and followed Connor out. "What's the problem?" Greyson asked, his tone serious. Connor hesitated, clearly uneasy. "Uh, you're not gonna like it. "Greyson frowned. "Yeah, well, I'm still gonna find out one way or another."

Connor stopped walking and turned to face his Alpha. "Rowhan, man. He's gone crazy." Greyson scoffed. "It's Rowhan. Of course, he's crazy." Connor shook his head, his expression grave. "Bro, he's even crazier. He wants to be the pack's leader, and he's pissed at your father." "Why?" Greyson's frown deepened.

Connor exhaled sharply. "Something about a deal. Apparently, he's mad that Christian is changing his mind, or something. And he's demanding to see you." A sense of dread settled over Greyson. He wasn't sure what his brother was planning, but it couldn't be good. Without hesitation, he motioned for Connor to follow him, and they made their way to confront Rowhan.

When they arrived, the sound of furniture crashing against the walls echoed through the hallway. Greyson entered the room, eyes narrowing at the sight of the mess. "Hey, Row, stop destroying my place." he called out, making his brother turn to face him.

 Rowhan sneered, his eyes filled with a mix of anger and arrogance. "Well, I've been waiting for you, brother." "Yeah, mind telling me what's going on?" Rowhan shrugged nonchalantly. "Sure, my pleasure. But first, tell your little friend to get out." He gestured toward Connor. Connor gave Greyson a nod before heading off to his room. He knew his friend would fill him in later, and he didn't want to escalate the situation. As soon as Connor was gone, Greyson crossed his arms. "He's gone. Now speak."

Rowhan's expression turned darker, more calculating. "Our dearest father here wants to change his mind about the human situation. He's planning to take down the rule." Christian, who had been sitting quietly in a chair, stood up at that. "Yeah, so? It's been going on long enough. Right now, I'm the Alpha here until the ceremony, so what I say goes. You got it?" "Oh, yes." Rowhan smirked. "That is another obstacle. The ceremony. Or should I say, my ceremony?" Greyson laughed dryly. " I'm pretty sure you meant my ceremony. I'm going to be the next Alpha here. Maybe—who knows—once I die, I might just give you the throne." "Oh, what a kind gesture, but I'm afraid I can't wait that long. You see, I've got plans for this pack, and for that lovely girl up in your bedroom."

Greyson's expression darkened, his voice dropping dangerously low. "You will not touch a hair on her head, or I'll—" "Or you'll what? Kill me?" Rowhan rolled his eyes, dismissing Greyson's threat. "Anyway." he turned back to their father. "Stick to the agreement, Chris. You know what happens if you don't." With that, Rowhan stormed out of the room, leaving Greyson seething.

Turning to his father, Greyson demanded. "What the hell does he mean by 'changing your mind on the situation'? Are you seriously considering changing the rule? Why now?" Christian's face was unreadable. He could sense his son's wolf was curious but didn't want to reveal everything. "It's nothing." he said, trying to brush it off. "Now go."

However, Greyson wasn't so easily deterred. "Wait, wait, wait." He stepped in front of his father, stopping him from pushing him out the door. "I'm actually thinking that changing the rule... might be a good thing. So, uh, don't listen to him for once. Just—think about it." With that, Greyson turned and left, leaving Christian standing alone in the room.

Christian sighed heavily, slumping back into the chair and rubbing his face. The weight of the decision before him bore down hard. If he changed the rule, there was no telling what Rowhan would do. Worse, if Rowhan followed through with his threats, it could mean disaster not just for the pack, for Greyson and for Scarlett but also for his.. 

Lover.

Hellen Vargas.

Greyson's mother.

Who was alive all along.