6 - The Balcony

Bucky couldn't fall asleep that night. His mind was racing and his stomach was full of butterflies. He could've sworn there were tiny creatures flying around inside of him just ready to escape at any given moment.

He hadn't hugged anyone in years. He felt so warm, so safe. Hazel had allowed him to feel a sense of comfort that he thought he would never feel again.

Tomorrow. 6am. Balcony.

The words echoed in his mind.

Tomorrow. 6am. Balcony.

He couldn't wait.

Maybe now, writing the note wasn't such a bad idea. He remembered being so terrified of Hazel's reaction. So terrified that she wouldn't reciprocate his actions.

The endless carousel of 'what ifs' was enough to send his mind into orbit. But he kept a hold on it, and surely enough, Hazel did return his friendliness.

Bucky beamed as he closed his eyes and imagined tomorrow morning. He'd made a friend. Someone he could look out for, someone who could look out for him.

He hoped they could just sit and talk, gazing out at the sunrise and enjoying each other's company. Oh how he longed to have a friend. This meant the absolute world to him.

***

Beep, beep, beep.

Hazel's alarm sounded, echoing through the small room.

"Shut upppppppp," she groaned, flipping her pillow over and shoving it on top of her head, anchoring down either side to block out the noise. It was only when she realised why the alarm was sounding that she quickly smacked it off and peeled her blankets away.

As Hazel placed her feet on the ground, she took a glance at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were puffy and so were her cheeks. She'd always hated what she looked like in the morning. She rubbed her eyes and groaned, stepping toward the direction of the kitchen.

After turning on the kettle, she folded her arms and tilted her head back, yawning. "Why so early Buckyyyy," she whined quietly.

Flicking her wrist to the side, she noticed it was 5:47am.

Yep.

So.

Damn.

Early.

She just wanted to sleep.

Maybe she could sleep outside on the balcony.

While the kettle finished boiling, Hazel gathered up some blankets and pillows to take out with her, she always loved snuggling up in her fuzzy blankets. 

***

Bucky made his way out the door, dressed in snug sweatpants and a large black hoodie, his hair tied in a low bun and adorned with a soft red beanie.

He felt super cosy and walked slowly down the hallway, waiting for Hazel. Bucky didn't know the girl that well, but from the small interactions he'd had with her, he knew she was special.

She had the biggest heart, a heart full of empathy, and a heart just waiting to be loved by someone. She was funny, her dry sense of humour bringing out her unique persona, and she was beautiful. Wow, she was stunning.

Bucky had never seen a girl so lovely before. She had deep brown eyes and curly light brown hair that hung gently at her shoulders. Her smile lit up the room and in his opinion, it was her most beautiful feature.

His heart fluttered just thinking about the girl. But then his train of thought abruptly stopped.

She was just a friend, nothing more.