34 - Need You Like Oxygen

Bucky paused and rubbed the back of his head, taking a few moments to process what Nat just said. She began to shuffle from foot to foot as he took time to conjure up an answer, amplifying the awkward tension between the two.

"No hard feelings, but she's really not in a good place right now," Bucky lowered his voice and spoke in a gravelly tone, assiduous in avoiding a misunderstanding with the ginger, "I think it would be best to prioritize her getting some rest and familiarizing herself with the place first...people can be scary." He bit his bottom lip nervously and then widened his eyes as he realized the words that just came out of his mouth.

"I didn't mean you," he spat out all in one phrase, "I just meant that," he sucked in a breath and rocked back on the balls of his feet, folding his arms and looking around the room, "when you're vulnerable...everything is dialed to 11. I don't know what she's feeling right now, but it's been enough to turn her into a completely different person."

"Yeah, I understand," Natasha gave him a tight-lipped smile and nodded. "I didn't mean to come off as pushy...I'm just worried about you guys. I know how it feels to be trapped in your thoughts and I hate to watch others struggle through the same hell I once lived in." She extended her hand and placed it atop his broad shoulder, all while looking up at him with sincerity, "Take as much time and space as you need, but please don't feel like it's too much for us to handle...we're here for you." 

"Thanks, Nat," Bucky smiled and stepped back into the room, shutting the door behind him.

As he turned on his feet and spun around to face Hazel, he noticed her gaze was directly aimed at his eyes. 

"Hi," he blinked slowly and smiled warmly. Bucky made his way back over to the bed and sat down next to Hazel, shuffling closer to her and leaning up against the bedhead once he found a comfortable position. He turned his head to the side and glanced fondly down at her. 

Bucky gently snaked his arm behind her neck and wrapped it around her shoulders before pulling her in so that her head relaxed against his bicep. "Maybe we could go for a walk," he cleared his throat and tilted his chin up, running his thumb back and forward across her shoulder as he spoke. "Only if you want to though," he moved his head back down so it was level with Hazel's, a few stray strands of hair falling loosely in front of his ocean eyes, the chocolate tresses just barely covering his rapidly expanding pupils as he parted his lips slightly. 

"I just think it could be good." He continued stroking his thumb against her skin, "cool air...snow," he sighed and relaxed his body, closing his eyes as he did so. 

Hazel shrugged meekly and nestled her head into Bucky, slipping both arms around his torso and closing her eyes as she held him close. He smiled down at her and lowered his head to plant a tender kiss on her forehead, allowing his lips to linger on her skin for a few lengthy seconds before placing a finger below her chin, tilting her head up to him. The left corner of his lip curled up into a lazy, awestruck grin as he whispered to her softly. 

"It's okay," He traced his thumb down the bridge of her nose, repeating the motion all while pressing his warm forehead to hers. He sighed and then began to pull away from Hazel, turning his body towards the side of the bed and easing himself onto the floor. He reached out a hand and leaned forward to lace his fingers with Hazel's. 

"You at least need some fresh air," he pulled her towards him and scooped her up gently into his arms, leaning back for a second as Hazel slowly wrapped both legs around his torso and buried her head into the crook of his neck lazily.

Bucky began towards the sliding door at the back of the room, gently nudging it open with his hip when he reached the large glass pane. As the door opened with a hiss, crisp wind swam into the room, the refreshing winter's breeze laced lightly with the scent of fresh pine. He stepped out onto the balcony and pushed the door closed again, careful to keep one hand cradling the soft, brown head of hair that lay in his grasp. He exhaled and turned his chin down to watch the girl in his arms. A small smile graced his lips, warming the glacial temperatures that threatened to push the pair inside. He walked slowly towards the loveseat on the east side of the balcony, smiling as he turned steadily to lower himself onto the soft cushions. As Bucky relaxed his back against the velvety pillows, he sighed and allowed his neck to slacken, gazing up momentarily at the icy blue sky that hung over him, its oceanic depths dotted with lacey white clouds.