12 - You and I

He kept gazing at Hazel, wanting so desperately to hold her in his arms.

"Look! It's Sebastian! He's my favourite character. Comedy at it's finest," Hazel laughed as she pointed to the screen.

Bucky turned his head, looking curiously at the red crab dancing across the television. He'd never seen anything like it before.

Back in the 40s they didn't have this sort of technology, and in between running from the government and hiding out from the public, it wasn't exactly at the top of his bucket list.

He chuckled. "Yeah, he's cool. Pumbaa will always be my favourite though."

"Eh, Sebastian wins in my books," she giggled, before shuffling around to face Bucky. His eyes diverted swiftly from the tv and locked onto Hazel's, exchanging an intense gaze filled with burning tension.

It only lasted a few seconds but it was enough to send shivers down Hazel's spine. His eyes were mesmerising and shone with a deep blue hue.

The tension bubbled up through through her body, causing her to stand up unannounced. "Uh dinner should be just about ready, I'll bring it over and we can eat here." She gave bucky a tight smile and quickly sped to the kitchen, leaving him feeling flustered at her sudden urgency.

As Hazel reached the oven, her heart raced and her vision distorted.

It was as if Bucky had taken her heart and turned it inside out, exposing her most vulnerable parts and uncovering the exciting but terrifying new emotions that ceased to disappear.

After her breakup with Alex, she'd promised herself she wouldn't fall for anyone, out of fear of heartbreak.

But right now, she was considering giving in to the man that sat so peacefully on her couch. Not just giving into her emotions but giving in to the unfamiliarity of trusting someone. The fluttering in her chest filled her with joy, a joy that counteracted the fear and trauma that she had once felt.

Bucky had shown her so much kindness. He had a heart of gold and had promised never to leave Hazel's side. They'd only met 5 months ago but the man was already indebted to her.

She was almost willing to throw down her protective barriers, the complete opposite of what she had originally entailed.

Hazel turned her head subtly to catch a glance over at Bucky. He was absolutely mesmerised by the little animated characters on the small television. His elbows were propped up on his knees as he sat forward contently, eyes wide with captivation and a small smile forming on his lips.

He held the expression of a curious puppy. His blue eyes were filled with wonder and awe, along with a childlike innocent that made Hazel melt.

He just wanted to be loved, anyone could see that.

Hazel grinned warmly, her heart fluttering widely.

She slipped on some yellow oven mitts before bending down and opening the oven door, the comforting scent of lasagna flooding her nostrils. She pulled the silver tray out of the oven before bumping the door closed with her hip and placing the meal on the table.

She slipped off her mitts and shook her hands, selecting two ceramic plates from the cupboard and setting them down.

"Hey Bucky how hungry are you?!" She turned her head and yelled.

Bucky flinched slightly and ran his hand through his hair before answering. "Um, I'm hungry," he chuckled nervously.

"Alrighty," Hazel hummed and placed a slice of lasagna into each plate before picking them up proudly and walking them over to the coffee table.