11 - His Person

5:00pm rolled around quickly and left Bucky feeling flustered and nervous. He'd spent at least half an hour deciding what to wear and then another hour showering, doing his hair and getting ready.

He wished he owned a suit - this would be the perfect time to wear one - but unfortunately he didn't have access to that sort of money. He ended up settling for a nice pair of jeans and a tightly fitted button up shirt.

He looked at himself in the mirror and ruffled his wet hair quickly with his hands, flicking his head back before blowing up at a stray piece of hair that continued to fall into his eyes.

"You'll be fine, you'll be fine, you'll be fine. It's just dinner with a friend." His breath caught on the last word, causing him to cough and then clear his throat, rubbing his neck.

Much to his dismay, the fluttering feeling in his chest returned, bringing on a wave of nerves that weren't present 10 minutes ago.

Bucky couldn't deny that Hazel was beautiful. She was the most stunning girl that he'd ever seen, and her kind heart was more than half the appeal.

He didn't understand why someone so seemingly perfect would want to be friends with a man like him. He was broken, torn apart, pieced back together again and again.

His mind was shattered and his sense of belonging had been stripped away, along with his self respect and ability to regulate his emotions.

He was hanging on by a thread...and right now, that thread was Hazel.

He couldn't afford to lose her over a stupid feeling in his chest.

***

Hazel looked herself up and down in the mirror. She was beautifully accoutred, donning a baby blue fitted dress that flowed gracefully down her legs and stopped just below her knee. It hugged her small curves and complemented her nails, which she had painted blue earlier.

She'd always wanted blue eyes. Her brown ones just never seemed good enough. From a young age she had been surrounded by friends and family with beautiful blue and green eyes and had always wished she could be like them.

In her opinion, her eyelashes weren't anything special either. They were short and just peeked over her lash line, looking almost invisible from a distance.

Hazel never gave herself enough credit. She spoke down about herself almost everyday and often hid in baggy pants and oversized hoodies.

Her hair fell to her shoulders in tight curls, the natural dark blonde highlights of her locks standing out in the mirror.

She felt overdressed, she was just having a friend over. She'd made such an effort to look nice, and for what? Her breath hitched at the thought and she breathed out, placing her hands on her hips.

Hazel's phone sounded, causing her to jump, and she picked it up to be met with a message that made her smile.

Bucky
Is this too much?

*1 attachment*

Hazel clicked on the photo Bucky had sent and she giggled, her eyes widening as she inspected his formal attire. He looked extremely handsome.

Hazel🌻
No you look cool. You should see what I'm wearing lol

*1 attachment*

Hazel's heart raced as she clicked send and clutched her phone to her chest, waiting for a response.

*ding*

She almost dropped her phone as she quickly opened it to Bucky's message.

Bucky
Wow I love it Sam shut up wait one second you