21 - Fancy Seeing You Here

"You alright?" Hazel squeezed Bucky's arm and glanced up at him, her brown eyes flicking empathetically to his blue ones. He hesitated for a moment before shaking his head quickly and forcing a smile, "yeah, yeah I'm okay." He reached his flesh hand up and grazed Hazel's shoulder with the tips of his fingers, noticing as her eyes followed his hand.

"That was terrifying. Little old ladies can be scary." He started chuckling and folded his arms as a memory brewed in his mind, "you should've seen Steve's mum when she was mad. Gosh, I thought my life was over then and there," his smile faded. The memory was bittersweet, filling him with a warm nostalgia but at the same time, sorrow.

"Oh yeah, I get ya," Hazel giggled and pulled out her phone to check the time.

10:37am.

"Wanna go grab lunch? I know it's early but I'm starving," Hazel slid her phone back into her pocket and clasped her hands together, looking up at Bucky.
He let the question hover for a few seconds before nodding, "yeah, that sounds great."

***

"So, this sushi is really nice, it'll change your life." Hazel spread her hands out passionately and then pointed up to the teriyaki chicken sushi roll on the menu. "Best sushi I've ever tasted," she nodded and folded her arms.

"I've never tried sushi," Bucky mumbled, but not quietly enough to make his statement past Hazel.

She grabbed his arm hurriedly and widened her eyes.

"SHUT. UP. OH MY GOSH YOU'RE TRYING IT," her mouth fell agape and she scrambled to the counter, pulling out a purse and a few notes. Bucky stood in shock for a few seconds, his arm throbbing slightly from the surprisingly strong grasp Hazel had gotten on him.

He watched as a man smiled and greeted Hazel, taking her order and nodding. She was amazing with words and everyone seemed to adore her, she had that effect on people. She always brought smiles to everyone's faces and knew exactly what to say. As she pointed to the sushi she wanted and passed over her money, Bucky smiled, totally enamoured.

Hazel approached him and held out a brown paper bag for him to take. When he didn't respond to her gesture she clicked her fingers in front of his face and giggled. "This is for you genius," she laughed and held up the bag to him. "Take it! I'm hungry!" She bounced on her feet and waited for Bucky to take the bag.

After the pair sat down, Hazel pulled her sushi rolls out of the bag and flattened the paper out on the table, using it as a plate. "I know you'll like it, it's my favourite food like... ever," she widened her eyes and smiled, throwing her head back on the last word and chuckling.

"Rightio," Bucky laughed and pulled out a sushi roll, studying it for a few seconds before unwrapping the plastic from around it and fishing out a small bottle of soy sauce. He fiddled with the lid for a few seconds, clenching his jaw when he couldn't get it off. He repeated an unscrewing motion with his hands but couldn't manage to open it. "Here," Hazel reached her hand out and took the bottle from Bucky and unscrewing it with ease.

She handed it back to him and he stared in awe. "How?"

"I'm just that amazing," Hazel shrugged.

"Yeah you are," Bucky blurted out without thinking, his eyes widening as his cheeks reddened and he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, looking everywhere but at Hazel.

"Aw," she extended her hand out to his and stroked his skin with her thumb before looking up into his eyes and capturing the mixture of love and embarrassment in his gaze. "I'll always be here for your soy sauce opening needs," she pulled back away and started eating her roll.