4. dark side

The sudden shock tensed her muscles.

Never in a lifetime would Elizabeth think once that she would be asked to get the dark mark. Yet alone, she never even saw herself talking with boys like Tom.

"No way."

"Again," Tom started walking closer to her, "I didn't ask. I want you to get the dark mark for me."

Elizabeth wasn't afraid nor frightened. She was feeling beyond what words could describe. She continued fidgeting with her fingers. Being a death eater would completely change her life.

"Death Eaters, the population of the death eater's are increasing with each passing day. Rumor is that some students are joining the dark side." She remembered her aunt telling her.

"I can't. I won't! I will not get anything or do-do anything for you!" she faltered.

"Calm down," Riddle slowly spoke, noticing her heavy breathing, "It shouldn't be torture to serve me," he proudly continued talking as if the conversation was normal to her. Or as if Elizabeth had the conversation every day.

"Serve you?" She was frozen in her place, "So you are one of the students who joined the dark side?"

"Ah ah ah," Tom approached even closer to her, leaning towards her ear, "I'm the one who created the dark side," he whispered, making sure he clarified each word that left his lips.

Terror sucked the breath away from Elizabeth's mouth. Her pulse started beating in her ears instead of any other noise.

"I can't become a death eater."

"You will be a perfect one," Tom held both of her shoulders, staring right inside her terrified soul, "Come by tomorrow night, or else-"

"Or else what?!" She removed herself from Riddle's arms and backed away, she hit her back to the wall. Then, slowly, she found herself sliding down until her bottom was seated on the ground.

She was scared.

"Or else," Tom followed her steps, kneeling down to be at the same level of her eyes, "Or else you will not see your precious aunt breathing anymore."

It felt like her heart stopped. After her parents being dead, Mcgonagall was the only real family she had. And she wasn't ready to lose that, not just yet.

Slowly all her organs shut down, starting from her brain. She was completely numb. And all she could think about was getting the dark mark, or else Riddle would be a threat to everyone she loved.

The cruel boy placed his hand on her knee, highering it until it reached her cheeks that were full of dried tears. He wiped away the tear that had just dropped down.
But he was smiling as he did so.

"It's ok," he unsympathetically comforted, "It won't be too bad, it'll just hurt a little when you're getting it," he continued rubbing his thumb up and down on her cheekbones while his other fingers stayed still on her jawline, "Everything will be fine after that."

Elizabeth tried to breathe in and out but air wouldn't enter her lungs. Her blinking started getting faster. She didn't dare to look into Tom's eyes.

"I need you to be careful. I don't want you to get caught up in any of this. Understand?" Was her aunt's warning before Elizabeth didn't only get caught up with it, but was becoming the problem itself.

She remembered her first encounter with Tom. They both read a poem together, she recalled the moment realizing that Tom had feelings as well. Yet looking at his expression, Elizabeth realized how wrong she had been.