Chapter 6 - Christian

"I've always wanted one of those," I admitted, looking at the chair in front of me almost wistfully.

"You have excellent taste, sir," the manager at the high-end furniture store complimented. "That's an original 1958 Eames chair and ottoman in black leather and walnut veneer. In mint condition, it's part of a suite of furniture bought for Charlton Monterey's home office in his Bainbridge Island holiday home. Because of ill health, Mr. Monterey didn't visit his holiday home in the last few years of his life. The house and its contents were packed up after his death in 1960, and this has been in storage ever since, so it's pristine. We recently received it as part of a consignment of stock from Mr. Monterey Junior's estate. In all my years, I've never seen such a perfect example."

"Show me what else you have from that consignment," I replied, unconsciously grabbing Anastasia's hand in excitement. Charlton Monterey was a big name in Seattle in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. A businessman with the 'Midas touch,' I'd studied his business practices extensively. He was a bit of an idol of mine. No doubt sensing the potential for a sizeable sale, the manager quickly showed us a large office desk, matching sideboard, credenza, and drinks cabinet.

"All handmade walnut, these were custom made for Mr. Monterey's home office."

"They're beautiful," Anastasia said, looking up at me, her upper teeth gently biting her lower lip.

"Truly beautiful," I replied, but this time I was thinking about the woman standing beside me. Rousing myself from the spell she'd placed me under, I moved back to the Eames lounge chair, lowering myself into it. As expected, it was supremely comfortable.

"It won't match your white sofa," Anastasia said, thinking out loud.

"Good. I was lying on that earlier, and it's too hard. And it's too low." Turning to face the store manager, I gestured to the chair I was sitting in and the other pieces from the Monterey estate. They were truly exquisite and deserved to be kept as a set. "I'll take them all. I'll also need to see any conference or dining tables you have to coordinate, a sofa, some cushions, and a rug."

Over the next hour, I commissioned a new walnut conference table in the same style as the Monterey furniture, twelve mid-century style chairs to go around it, bought two new couches, four new visitor chairs, and was now lying on top of a large pile of rugs beside Anastasia, testing our front runners out for comfort.

"Not that I expect to be rolling around the floor of my office, Ms. Steele," I joked, facing the beauty beside me.

"You never know when you might end up sitting on the floor," she replied, rolling onto her stomach, running her hands over the rug's surface. "And this one is so soft!"

An enormous hand-knotted area rug, in a traditional design but in blues and greens, I was pleased to notice it didn't seem to shed as my dark suit pants and jacket were still pristine. From where he stood beside the store manager watching us, I could see Taylor smirking at me testing out rugs. In fact, I think he even took a photo on his phone. But Anastasia insisted this was the only way to do things, and since I knew shit all about this stuff, I was taking her word for it.

"We'll take this, too," I said, much to the shop manager's delight. I could see him mentally calculating his commission. Standing up, I reached out to Ms. Steele, helping her up. Once upright, I did not relinquish her hand, relishing the feel in my own.

"Excellent choice, sir. Would you be interested in some cushions, throw rugs, or other accessories to finish the space?" As fun as this had been, I didn't want to waste another hour on furniture.

"Get your designers to put something together. I'll make my final decisions when I see it all installed at Grey House on Monday. Come, Anastasia, I think it's time for afternoon tea."