Welcome To Crete Chapter 73

Fay rang Adam's doorbell and tried not to think about what she was about to do, worried that she would change her mind if she did. When he finally answered the door a mixture of nerves and emotional turmoil resulted in anger when she saw him.

"Okay, I've got the message, you're leaving!" she shouted, waving the ticket in his face.

He looked shocked and moved backwards when she pushed her way into his house.

Oh hell, what had he done? He'd pushed her too far now! Why the hell had he done that?

He watched her anxiously as she paced his lounge, her rising anger obvious.

"Well done Adam, this is what you wanted isn't it? To reduce me to this. Well here I am." She stopped in front of him, glaring angrily into his face.

What did that mean? Just stay quiet, let her talk.

"Is that all you're going to do? Just stand there looking like that!" she squealed, incensed by him.

Looking like what? What was he looking like? Oh hell, he was staying quiet.

"Huh! Fine, be like that," she said, turning away and pacing again. "I'm here because Ruth seems to think that you don't know how I feel about you, which is ridiculous because you must do, but anyway, apparently you're leaving because you don't know." She paused, looking to him for a reaction. Silence. She growled. "Is that it? You don't know how I feel about you?" He watched her but said nothing. "Damn it Adam say something!" she shouted, backing towards the wall and sliding down it with tears streaming out of her eyes. She covered her face.

"I don't want you to go," she said quietly. "Did you hear me Adam?" Her voice rose. "I don't want you to go!" she shouted.

He had waited and prayed to hear her say that but his joy at knowing that she wanted to be with him was suddenly overshadowed by a feeling of remorse as he saw how upset he had made her. He went to her and took hold of her hands, pulling her up off the floor.

"I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry. You were right, I was playing games. But I didn't know how you felt and I thought that you should have known how I felt considering that I tried to show you in a million different ways. And I told you," he added. "I told you how much I love you."

She looked up at him with a frown.

"Then why this?" she asked, handing him the ticket.

He grimaced. "To see how you would react. To see if you felt the same about me."

"And if I hadn't come to you just now you'd be leaving on this flight, right? If you aren't still," she added with some anger still in her voice.

He shook his head. "No to both."

She looked confused. "But you are booked on the flight so you are going back. Don't expect me to believe that you are stupid enough to go back just to make a point."

"No, but I am stupid enough to book a ticket that I had no intention of using."

She didn't look convinced. "Really?"

He looked down at the ticket in his hand and opened it, laughing at what he saw.

"If I had intended to use it I would have booked a flight to London, Birmingham or Manchester possibly, but Glasgow!" He held up the ticket for her to see. "No one in their right mind would book a ticket to Glasgow if they lived in London," he pointed out.

She looked closely at the ticket and pretended anger, although her spirits were lifting inside with hope.

"Then you really are stupid!" she concluded.