Welcome To Crete Chapter 58

Fay descended the steps of the aeroplane and was hit by a wall of heat, a huge contrast to the wind and rain she had been faced with over the last few weeks. She boarded the shuttle bus, which was crowded with excited tourists, and she smiled to herself as a different kind of excitement hit her. After handing over her passport for inspection, she followed the line of tourists into the baggage claim area and waited impatiently for the luggage to begin emerging. Eventually her bag fell out onto the belt and she pushed through the crowds to retrieve it, making for the exit and grabbing a taxi before they were commandeered by anyone else on her flight.

An hour and a quarter later Fay pushed open the door of The Wheelhouse and entered, catching the attention of Ruth, Pat and Sal who were sitting at the corner of the bar nearest to the entrance. As soon as they realised who had just entered their faces lit up and Fay was almost mowed down by Sal when she reached them.

"I can't believe you're back!" Sal squealed, throwing herself at Fay and kissing her on the cheek.

"Hi Sal," she smiled.

"I can tell you've come from London," Ruth said, assessing Fay's appearance. "Aren't you hot in that suit?"

"Absolutely roasting but I didn't have an opportunity to change," Fay explained, taking off her high heeled shoes with relief.

"Isn't there someone else you want to say hello to?" Sal grinned.

Fay took a moment to understand what Sal meant. "Oh yes but I can't seem to find him. I've checked the office and his house."

Sal rolled her eyes and looked towards Ruth whilst Pat began asking Fay about her trip. Ruth moved to the back of the bar then, heading for Adam who was sitting amongst a group of men engrossed in a football match. She reached across the bar and tapped Adam on his arm to get his attention.

"I think you're going to want to see who's just walked in," she said, motioning back down the bar with her eyes.

Adam froze and his heart jolted suddenly at the implication in Ruth's words. He leant backwards on his stool to cast his eyes down the bar and his pulse began to race with excitement when he caught sight of Fay. He jumped off his seat and watched as Sal whispered something into Fay's ear which made her swing her head around abruptly in his direction. Her eyes widened in surprise and, throwing down her bag and shoes, she began to walk towards him. With a growing impatience which matched her own, he watched her approach until she gave up and sprinted towards him, throwing herself into his arms with an enthusiasm he hadn't expected from her. Their lips collided immediately and his arms encircled her body so tightly that she feared for her ribs.

He drew back his head briefly to refill his lungs when they ran out of air. "Don't," he kissed her, "ever," he kissed her again, "leave me like that," another kiss, "again!"

He finished with a long lingering kiss, weaving his fingers through her hair and holding her head to his. They eventually inched apart and glanced around to giggle at the sea of intrigued faces that were watching them. He moved his gaze to her again and put a hand under her chin to turn her head back to him.

"Let me look at you," he said as his eyes travelled from her face down her body. "You look different, sexy as always but something's not right. It's these clothes. They're not you. I know, let's get them off," he grinned.

She laughed and slapped his hands away when he went to unbutton her blouse. "You're not different at all!"

He linked his hands behind her back and beamed at her. "So how was London?"

"Okay," she said vaguely, "but here is much better."

His eyes assessed the guarded expression on her face and she edged away from him to move back down the bar to Sal, Pat and Ruth.