Twelve.

The mirror didn't quite tell the truth. What Nessa saw was a lost boy trying desperately to fit in. But according to his mom, he looked perfect.

It took him only a little while to decide that she was lying more than the mirror was. He turned away from it and yelled, "I'm sticking to the usual!" loud enough for his parents to hear.

He was met with two feminine voices. One said, "But you looked so handsome!" While the other added, "I knew that he wouldn't keep it on for long."

Walking back to his dresser, Nessa began sifting through. He decided that he shouldn't wear anything different than what he normally did, which had been the plan at the very start. However, his mom had already bought him some new clothes. She said that he needed to branch out a little. Nessa disagreed. He wanted to tell her that he found comfort in what he wore, but he could never find it in him to explain all of that.

It was a beautiful day, the sun casting it's warm light upon the earth kindly

It was a beautiful day, the sun casting it's warm light upon the earth kindly. Kiwi liked these kinds of days, they made it easier to slip away from all of his insecurities. These kinds of days were made better by the fact that he could share them with those closest to him.

His mother had asked him if he would stay behind to look after Lily while she took Vicki and Deane to ballet, which immediately caused mass devastation within his mind. He had been looking forward to this ever since he got a wonderful text from Ilya asking if he would come along.

However, his father had slipped away from his study long enough to say that he would watch after the baby while she was gone instead. There was that usual look on her face that said you're spoiling her again but she didn't say that aloud. It usually took something a lot larger for her to actually speak those things, which did relieve Kiwi. His dad gave him that usual quiet look of you're a good kid, don't let her dishearten you. Kiwi really loved his father. Those looks were always punctuated with, and I promise that I know that you're a boy.

Not to say that he didn't love his mother, because of course he did. He was the kind of son who would probably never be able to fully hate his family. No matter what they did, he simply couldn't bring himself to hate them. Even when they made his anger fly off of the rails. Even when he destroyed their home and they all gazed at him as though he were a monster, he couldn't hate them.

There was the morning newspaper still sat on the stoop when Kiwi made an exit, despite time approaching midday. His father was the kind of man to always get the newspaper because he thought that it suited him, but he hardly ever actually read it. Once he admitted that it was too boring, and that the aesthetic was the whole reason he even bothered trying. That had caused Kiwi to laugh and shake his head fondly. His father was a peculiar man.

The grass crunched beneath his Vans as he cut across the yard, heading down the sidewalk. People in the city had a habit of walking everywhere they went. It didn't matter that he was miles away from his destination, Kiwi would walk. The only time he didn't was when he had to cut through a bad neighborhood, or was simply too tired to walk very far. The latter didn't happen very frequently in recent years, since he was trying to be more responsible.