Fifteen.

He stood on his doorstep, pondering the pros and cons of going inside. Every millimeter of his skin was bustling, feeling as though he was being watched. As much as he did not want to stay out in the open, he also did not want to have to face his parents. He wasn't sure if he could hold himself together under their impending gaze.

"I like it

"I like it." Keely was saying, curled up on the couch beside Emi, who smelt of rose water and jasmine. Her head was in Emi's lap, eyes closed peacefully as she felt Emi's fingers being threaded affectionately through her tangled hair.

"I don't know, I just think it's weird." Emi was typing on her phone as she spoke, writing a half-assed essay for English class. She mastered the art of both multitasking, and typing with one hand.

Keely hummed, thinking it over again. Her conclusion was the same. "Venice has always been so broken. Haunted. I think it's a good thing that he's taken a liking to Nessa."

Emi nodded, glancing down at Keely briefly before turning back to her phone. "I'm not saying that I don't think he deserves happiness, because I would give just about anything to see him smile. I'm just nervous. What do we even know about Nessa?" She countered.

Keely liked it when Emi didn't try to sound rude or bitchy. She liked her genuine side, when she would freely speak her mind. Even more so when it was about her devotion to her friends. "I think he's a good person. He just seems a little quiet, but so is Venice, so I don't see why that would be a problem."

"Yeah, but he's so damn pretty." Emi pursed her lips, leaning down and planting a thoughtful kiss on Keely's temple. When she pulled back, Keely noticed that she was still typing, even without looking at the screen. "It's unnatural."

"You noticed it too?" Keely's eyes lit up as she giggled. "I agree, he's abnormally pretty."

"Unbelievably so. It seems like everyone noticed, not just us." She didn't seem as excited by that fact as Keely did. In reality, she appeared to be more annoyed by it than anything. "Ilya said that he was scared to touch Nessa, because he thought that it might taint his beauty. Kiwi was wondering what his parents must look like. Venice must have noticed too, because he seems absolutely enamored by it."

"It's hard not to be. How often do you meet someone like that? I wonder what was the matter earlier though. Venice wouldn't spill."

"He never does." With that, Emi finally looked back to her screen. The essay was several lines longer than it had been before, a few words underlined by red dots. "Venice is the definition of keeping a secret to the grave. The only one he might consider telling would be Ilya, but Ilya is too depressed over Kiwi to pay enough attention."

"Ugh, won't those two just get together already?" Keely caught Emi's hand in hers as it was petting her head. She looped their fingers together lazily. "I swear, Kiwi has totally had a crush on Ilya for literal years."