Chapter 26: Insecure

Third POV

"Promise are just pieces of paper waiting to be ripped."

Two years ago

"Caden? Caden!" Nora shouted, her voice bouncing off all of the somewhat bare walls.

"Caden? Honey I'm home!" She tried again, getting no response in return.

She sighed loudly, placing her hands on her hips as her feet tapped the wood floor. The apartment looked empty, since she and Caden just moved into it, only being a few months since they got married.

Everything has been going smoothly, with the transition and whatnot. It was definitely a bit difficult to leave Kristen, realizing that she really depends on her for a lot of things, but their new apartment isn't far from her so they'll still be somewhat close to each other.

She and Caden are more in love than ever. Each and everyday starting with an "I love you" and ending with one. It was everything that Nora dreamt about, and it felt so surreal to her that it was all coming true.

Caden treats her well, always coming home with gifts and food so that Nora doesn't have to cook. He always surprises her with dates, bringing her to the beach almost everyday.

Everything about each day was different, and Nora loves it. She's just trying to savior it, not truly knowing how long it will last.

That's because recently, Caden has been acting a bit.....peculiar. Always coming home late, and when he does come home, he always avoids answering Nora's questions, the same mysterious look on his face everyday.

Those roses, those dinners, those trips to the beach, all evaporated quicker than she could fathom. She started to feel that their marriage was starting to break apart, and she didn't understand why it had to come to this.

It's dark, it's always dark. That's because Nora never turns on the lights, she never does. All she ever cares about these days is Caden. She worries about all of the things he could be hiding from her.

The grey eyed girl bit her fingernails, staring at the unpacked boxes laying across the living room floor. They gave her stress, which is why she found herself grabbing her coat, heading out of the silent space.

She got into her car, tightening the coat around her body. She didn't know where she was going, or what she was trying to do, but she didn't know what else to do when Caden isn't around.

Maybe she could go treat herself to dinner, or maybe she could go shopping, though none of those ideas sound that fun alone. Maybe she could call up some of her friends....that.....she's shut out for the past year....

Nora groaned, knowing that the only other person who would be somewhat willing to go out with her is her sister. So, she took out her phone, fingers tapping at the screen.

It rang only once before Kristen picked up, surprising Nora.

"Nora? What's wrong? Are you ok?" Kristen panted, out of breath from running on the treadmill.

"Jeez, hi to you too." Nora chuckled, rolling her eyes.

"Sorry, it's just that you never call." Kristen laughed on the other end, zipping up her bag as she headed out of the gym.

"What's up?" Kristen asked, not sure why Nora even called in the first place.

"Just wondering if you'd like to hang out. Nothing special." Nora shrugged, sounding casual when in reality she was nervous for whatever her sister had to say.