Chapter 8: New Job

Third POV
NYC, NY

"Would it be ok if I apply.....to work here?"

The question had Kristen's eyes widening, staring at the man with disbelief.

"Wh—why?" She stuttered, trying to hide her surprise.

Rob leaned back in his chair awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck, "I need more to support myself. My roommate just got fired and my regular job isn't paying well, so yeah." He spoke, dumping a bunch of personal information about him out.

The green eyed girl gave him a reluctant stare, not really sure how to respond. She would love to have him work here, but something about the idea made Kristen hesitant.

"Well," She said after a few seconds of silence, "I can give you a job, but only if you're really willing to work hard." Her voice was stern, but gentle.

Rob nodded firmly, "Of course, I won't let you down." Robert cheered which put a smile on Kristen's face.

"Great! You can start today if you wish. How it works here is that no one really has a set job, everyone just helps with whatever they can. I believe Nora needs help with packaging donuts in the kitchen, you can go help her." She informed the man who was intently listening to her.

The photographer thank her and headed out the office. He reached the kitchen, spotting the person he was looking for. Nora turned around when she heard someone enter the clean area, jumping when she saw Rob standing in the doorway.

"Hey hey hey! Don't come in without a hairnet, gloves, a mask, and an apron please." She warned, pointing at a little room off to the side. Rob nodded, quickly walking into that room. He switched on the light and saw all the things that Nora said. He quickly put all of them on and headed out.

Nora gave him a thumbs up, beckoning him over to where she was. Rob walked over to the girl currently rushing to package boxes filled with donuts.

"You came just in time; the lunch rush is starting and we have TONS of orders." She said quickly, handing Rob a box that had their company name and logo on it.

"See all of the donuts grouped into dozens? Put each group in a box and then seal it closed with one of these stickers," She said, pointing at the stack of neatly organized stickers, "After you're done with that, put the box over there." She explained. Rob nodded slowly, hoping that he caught everything that she said.

He did as he was told, walking over to the area with donuts, which were resting neatly on cooling shelves. He set the box down, looking around for a group of a dozen. His eyes landed on a certain bunch that was all holiday themed; snowmen, Christmas trees, ornaments, etc. The sight alone had Rob gleaming with holiday spirit.

He made sure his gloves were securely on his hands before he grabbed each donut with a delicate touch, not wanting to ruin any of them.

Nora secretly watched from the corner, while she was taking donuts out of the fryer to place on the cooling rack. She admired the way Rob concentrated, being careful about every move he made. She didn't really know why he came to the kitchen in the first place, but the lunch rush was starting soon and she couldn't do all of it by herself.

"One box is done!" Rob shouted as he placed the sticker onto it. Nora smiled and took the box from him, placing a price tag onto it before placing it on a table.

"You think you could help me package the rest of these? The snow is really bad today, so we don't have as much employees as usual."

Rob chuckled, "I'm an employee now, so I won't be leaving."