Facing Finals, Freaked Out Friends, Fuckwit Fathers and ✨Feelings✨

"Juda's offered to lock you in the infirmary until you tell me what's going on."

Kyung got off the bed, scowling because he felt sick on the inside, "I've learnt how to pick a lock so that's not going to work." His throat was parched and his head hurt and he wanted to throw up but more important, he wanted to get as far away as he could from the human race.

Namju blocked his path, "Tell me what is going on and I'll let you be."

"There's nothing wrong—"

"So you've begun to drop down unconscious in the middle of school for the heck of it!?" He raised his voice, "Look, I know there's something going on between you and Kang Jia. I don't care if you're dating or sleeping together or whatever—"

"We're not."

Namju pretended to have not been interrupted, "—I want to know if she's the reason you're a mess. Or if it's your father. Word about you going to court for your inheritance is going around, just so you know."

He cursed out loudly, and Namju looked quite taken aback. Clenching his jaw and fists, Kyung made a split second decision to come clean. "After Eun Danoh broke off the engagement and my father lost the investment, I got beaten within every inch of my life and got kicked out because he couldn't see any more use for me. I went to Kang Jia's apartment and have been staying there since the end of November and now, work as a receptionist for her brother."

Absolute silence. He blinked. And then Namju blinked. And then the latter sat down on the edge of the bed with a grave look on his face and asked.

"So she made you marry her in exchange for a place to stay?"

Kyung exhaled in annoyance, wanting nothing more than to leave the infirmary, "No. We split chores and bills and she doesn't expect anything more from me."

He narrowed his eyes in disbelief, "Kang Jia doesn't?"

"Yeah."

"Kang Jia? Are you sure?"

"She's changed, Namju." Kyung sighed.

"Right." Namju nodded but repeated, "But Kang Jia, though?"

☘☘☘

"Baek Kyung, your dad's a dick."

"You're telling me."

☘☘☘

After much discussion and argument, Kyung finally managed to convince Namju that he was better off where he currently was and that Jia was quite indifferent towards his existence (Namju scoffed at him, almost as if he knew his feelings for her). He had only just stepped out of the infirmary when he bumped into Jia.

"Are you okay?" It felt nice that she was worried but Kyung still felt petty because he couldn't shake off the image of her with Dohwa. "They said you collapsed and that Oh Namju..." She trailed off, spotting the said boy behind Kyung. She brushed off his presence, "Nevermind that. Kyung, are you okay?"

Namju raised his eyebrows in mock surprise as he walked past the two, "First name basis already? You two sure move fast."

"Shut up." Kyung scowled.

"I'll leave you alone." He rolled his eyes and left.

Jia crossed her arms and slowly quirked a quizzical brow, "What was that about?"