As Doofensmirtz Would Say, It All Started When He Was Born

Baek Kyung had been going through a shitty time since, well, forever.

His dad had hated him for as long as he could remember. Then his mom, probably the only one who cared about him, got sick. Then he met Eun Danoh, who had been born sick. Then his mom died and his father's hatred for him multiplied. Suddenly there was this new woman and a new kid in his house and Baek Kyung got sidelined immediately. Well, not sidelined. His father believed that he'd make a good tool for a business proposition.

Then Eun Danoh became the only person who cared about him. Until she didn't either.

He always felt like he was underwater after that, clawing at his throat while being deprived of air. No matter how hard he thrashed and tried to come up to the surface, there was always something dragging him lower and lower into the darkness.

He wondered whether giving his father a taste of his own medicine would make him feel better. And that's what he did. The next time Baek Kyung's father raised a fist at him, the boy struck him back. It wasn't like the man was going to remember it in the first place anyway. The other woman gasped in horror as her husband went flying across the living room with a bloodied mouth.

It didn't make Baek Kyung feel any better. He thought it would. He was so sure it would give him at least an iota of satisfaction. But it didn't. He felt nothing and it aggravated him.

So he sunk into one corner of the science lab as the rest of the class worked, and stared bitterly into space.

Until the human form of the Black Plague shimmied next to him, took one look and said, "Yes, yes, we all know birth is a curse and existence is a prison but can you please do your introspection crap when we're not partnered together and are being graded on our work?"

At the first spark of annoyance, he hissed a 'shut up' and slammed his book against the table, toppling a test tube stand, effectively breaking three out of the five test tubes. The shattering sound made everybody in the lab stop whatever they were doing. They waited in silent anticipation for the girl to burst into tears.

Kang Jia stared at him for a moment, unimpressed by his tantrum, and then whirled towards where their teacher was standing and fidgeting. "Sir!" She yelled loudly, "Baek Kyung threw a bitchy fit and broke all the equipment!"

"Kang Jia, watch your language!"

☘☘☘

Joonhyun trailed after him with an expectant look and Kyung considered that, maybe, the kid wasn't so bad after all.

☘☘☘

"How come you're always partnered with Baek Kyung these days?" He overheard Kim Aeil asking the sewage-for-brains.

She shrugged, "For the plot, I suppose. But thank fuck it won't last long."

☘☘☘

Baek Kyung noticed the dog fur on his uniform a couple of days after he had gone to Kang Jia's apartment. He dusted the front of his blazer and his trousers as harshly as he could but the hairs wouldn't come off.

His mind involuntarily thought of Geumbi and the way the stupid dog had bounced around him out of sheer joy. She had kept nuzzling against him, making Kang Jia grumble under her breath. Geumbi had tried to bite into the edge of his bag to keep him from leaving. When he had closed the door to Jia's apartment behind him, Kyung had heard the dog whining sadly and pawing at the wood from the other side.