New Beginnings and Unexpected Farewells So I Hope Y'all Cry

Hwan had his booted feet up on the table. He yawned widely, took a sip of his beer, and scratched the top of his clip-on veil. "I don't get it," He said, "Don't you have friends, Sena? Is that why you're throwing such a sad bachelorette for yourself? A dinner in the lawns of grandpa's house?"

"Don't be a fucking prick." She said, swirling her glass of whiskey as she pulled her bare feet up on the garden chair, "I had my bachelorette yesterday. I just wanted to have a normal dinner as a family for once."

Jia, who was slumped against a wedding-veil-wearing Siwon on a sofa, looked extremely offended as she exclaimed, "Why wasn't I invited!?" Geumbi, who was sprawled on her lap, growled at the disturbance. She hiccuped, whined, and went back to sleep.

"You would've hated it." Sena replied, adjusting the skirt of her summer dress over her legs. "It was loud and lacked the strippers that you would've wanted."

The Kang siblings had gathered on the patio of their grandfather's mansion that evening, sitting around the fire pit. On the black, wooden deck behind them, the staff was laying out the tableware for the dinner Sena had requested for. Further into the lawn, preparations had been done for the wedding that was going to happen the next day.

Siwon cracked an eye open, "Are you nervous about tomorrow?"

"I can't wait for tomorrow." Sena replied, "It feels like everything's finally falling into place. Except for Jia's relationships, of course."

"Fuck you." Jia scowled, earning a nudge in the rib from Siwon, "Seriously, be nice to me. I even got my hair done because you won't let me keep it normal."

Hwan snickered, tilting his bottle of beer at her, "That's not normal. You have a box plant bush growing on your head." He hissed in pain as Siwon kicked his stretched out leg. "So-rry." The eldest rolled his eyes, "I keep forgetting that this is a changed Jia we have with us."

"No, you don't." Jia grumbled.

She watched the three of them continue talking, casually wondering when she had stopped using the phrase 'adopted siblings' to refer to them in her mind. Maybe she should go back to the phrase, you know, to be safe. It was better that way. It wasn't as if they were going to stay forever.

"Hey, I had a question." She said to Sena, who finished off the last of her drink.

"What question?"

"Does he know?"

"Does who know what?"

Jia dusted Geumbi's fur off her short, polka dotted dress, "Your doctor fiance. About, I don't know, everything."

"Of course he does." Sena replied without missing a beat, "My birth parents. Oh Heeju. The divorce. Everything. As do his parents."

Quirking a brow, Siwon asked, "And they didn't run the other way screaming?"

She shook her head, laughing quietly, "No. No, they didn't. They...they said it wasn't my fault. Any of it. As did Johwa. I told him about all of it a month into our relationship because I felt that he should know what he was getting into. He was shocked, obviously, and he said he needed time to think about it." Sena looked up at the starry sky and then towards Siwon, "I thought I had ruined everything but as it turned out...." She wiggled her fingers, showing off her golden engagement ring.

"Grandpa's been telling you that ever since you've stepped foot inside this place," Hwan stared at the fire pit and then at her, "As have we. What makes you believe them over us?"