Heart Been Broke So Many Times, I Don't Know What to Believe

"—ucker"

The other three flinched at the magnitude of fury with which the curse had been spat. On the bed next to Jia, Joonhyun stirred. He let out a series of coughs as he struggled to sit up straight. Baek Kyung steadied him, asking him if he was okay.

"I," Joonhyun rasped, "feel as if my brain's been replaced by a ten tonne weight. I just...need a moment to process—," He pressed his palms to the side of his head, eyes wide, "Oh. Oh. I have...so many old-new memories."

Jia had zoned out while staring at the opposite wall in silent horror. Yes, she had tried to lose her 'free-will' and yes, she had run from the void but now...she felt as if there was no direction to her life. She had been chucked headfirst into an anxiety-inducing existential crisis.

I'll have to live with my past. Jia could vaguely make out that Dohwa was trying to say something to her. I'll have to live with my despicable set-up for the rest of my life. I don't want this. I fucking want my clean slate.

She got off the bed, feeling an itch in her eyes.

Dohwa clasped her wrist gently, "Where are you going?"

In a daze, Jia replied, "If we are free from the Writer then right now, I'm missing class. Also, I need to take off my lenses."

As she left, she heard him exclaim in absolute surprise, "You wear—you wear lenses!?"

☘☘☘

She ignored the curious glances her friends sent her way while whispering about the round glasses resting on her nose.

There were an insane amount of thoughts going through Jia's brain.

My character didn't take Eun Danoh and Baek Kyung's relationship well. That's going to affect what everyone believes about me. Wait, who cares what they think about me? I'll have to see that woman again, sooner or later. God, I hope she chokes on air. Grandpagrandpa wants to meet everyone to have that garbage when-I-die talk. Shit, I don't want to see the others. Siwon, maybe. Not the others. Bills won't be paid automatically. I need to focus on time management. Find a way to juggle school and work without passing out.

What the fuck is this? Her eye twitched as she pressed the nib of her pencil harshly onto her notebook, I didn't ask for any of this.

A sharp kick under her chair startled Jia out of her thoughts. She sneered over her shoulder at Oh Namju, "What?"

He jerked his head, gesturing at the front of the class where the teacher was waiting with her arms crossed.

"Kang Jia, come up here and solve the—"

"It's 143 by 28." Jia answered, not wanting to leave her seat.

"24." Namju corrected.

She frowned and twisted her torso to peer into his notebook, "No. It's 28. You've made a calculation mistake here."

As the teacher blinked in surprise and mumbled that she was correct, Namju hissed a 'damn it' under his breath. On Jia's left, Aeil leaned towards her.

"I didn't know you could do calculus."

Jia clicked her tongue, looking away. She accidentally took notice of Baek Kyung's empty seat and very, very briefly wondered how he was taking the news.