I Used To Love H.I.M (Lord Jamar & Nia Long) Sneak Peak

~I met this boy when I was ten years oldAnd what I loved most, he had so much soul

~
I met this boy when I was ten years old
And what I loved most, he had so much soul.
He was old school when I was just a shorty.
Never knew throughout my life he would be there for me...
~

Manhattan, New York
(1999)

"I've been trying to get this job at this jewelry place, but you know how these damn white people are. It's hard getting into these damn stores." I said to Mother on the phone as I walked back and forth in my living room

"I know. I know. Don't stress yourself out anymore than you need too. You'll find something eventually." She said assuring me.

I had just moved out of her house a month ago after graduating from college. I had paid this months rent already but I had to find a job fast before next month or I'd be evicted. However, the two jobs I applied for haven't called me back.

"Yeah, I hope so." I sighed plopping down on my couch.

"Oh I just remembered. I wanted to tell you I seen Lorenzo the other day." My mother said randomly.

I froze in place as so many memories came back to mind. Lorenzo... I haven't heard that name in almost 5 years.

"He asked me about you and how you were doing in school. I told him you were out of school already and had just moved out a month ago. He wanted me to give you his number." She said.

"Oh..okay." I stuttered as she proceeded to give me his number.

I wrote it down on one of the letters I got in the mail on my coffee table.

"I think the two of you should really talk about what happened. You both basically grew up together and have been friends forever. It just doesn't feel right that you guys don't even talk anymore." She explained.

"I gotta go ma. I'll talk to you later." I said changing the subject.

"Alright. Please hear him out Nia. It's been too long."

"Okay ma." I said.

"Bye baby." She said as I hung up the phone.

I sighed as I stared down at the number just thinking about our last conversation. Words were thrown around like knives as we both said things we didn't mean.

I knew deep down he wouldn't listen to what I had to say, but I never knew we wouldn't speak to each other for so long because of it. Especially after everything we've been through.

I got up and turned on the radio near my window seal. That's when I heard a familiar melody start to play through the speakers. I felt butterflies as one memory in particular came to mind.

I remember he was so excited to tell me about this song he heard on the radio one day. He had gotten the cassette tape for it, just so I could hear it too. He said the song reminded him of me.

"I used to love her.." I smiled to myself as I thought back to that very day he told me he loved me.

*Flashback*

Brooklyn, New York
(1994)

Senior Year

TBC

A/N: Literally came up with this story after listen to Brand Nubian and realizing how fine Lord Jamar was.😍 Part 2 of  Can We Get Away? Is coming soon!