Chapter 7: Visit

Chapter 7

Visit

An early morning on Sunday, Gulf woke up with his throbbing head. He reached for his glass of water on their bed side table and drank half of it. He just remembered that he was really wasted last night. When he turned to his side, he noticed that Sirene, his wife, was not there anymore. She was always an early riser, Gulf thought.

After he took a cold shower to cool his head down, he went to the kitchen to check on his wife. He was about to get down when he heard noises from the open balcony. The white curtains were flowing every time the wind blew. That was when he saw the figure of his wife, standing while her hands were inside her cardigan's pocket.

“Sire…” Gulf called for her attention.

Sirene welcomed him with a sweet smile. He noticed that her eyes were glinting. She immediately made her way to encircle her arms around his husband's waist and buried her face on his chest.

“What's wrong?” he asked when he enveloped his arms on her back.

Sirene just shook her head and released herself from the hug.

“Pops will be here soon.”

As she finally said those words, they heard a loud beep outside. They took a look from the balcony and saw a black Benz down there in front of their house.

They both sighed and smiled at each other. They knew what would happen by the next hours.

“Pops. Good to see you.” Sirene gave her grandfather a tight hug.

While, Gulf could not look straightly at the old man for some reasons. They met numerous times, but he never felt comfortable with Sirene's grandfather around. He really looked stiff and strict at first, but he was really a…

“Gulf, my boy! Are you treating my granddaughter well? Treat her bad, and you will be…” he acted as if he would cut Gulf's throat.

He chuckled nervously. Sirene gave him a knowing look. She urged her grandfather to sit comfortably on their living room.

“I'm going to prepare some breakfast. Talk with him, alright? Good luck.”

Before he could protest, Sirene left in front of him. He was really anxious every time he would go speak with anyone of Sirene's Family. He was afraid for the same reason.

“How are you holding up, P-Pops?” he forced a smile, but he bet that it came out just an involuntary smile.

Gulf saw the old man got his tobacco on his black pocket. The truth was Sirene's Pops was a nice old man. He was not just used to his presence.

“I'm fine, Hijo. I just got back from Vancouver. And speaking of it, I have something for the four of you.”

Four of us, Gulf thought. He really knew what would happen next.

“We passed by their house and saw the two of them running in their front yard. Stella is still a tigress, huh? I'm quite impressed that Mew has a long string of patience for his wife.” the old man added.

Gulf could not utter words toward the old man. He went quiet after hearing about Mew and his wife. He stared at nothingness for some seconds and gave the old man a small smile.

“Call Mew. Tell them to come over.”

He nodded. He raised from his seat and went to their garden to dial his digits.

“Good morning! What is it?” His soft manly voice lingered on his ear.

Gulf sighed heavily and tried his best not to stutter.
“Pops is here. He wants you to come… here.”

He heard loud noises in the background when Mew was about to talk.

"COME BACK HERE A-HOLE!”

“DAMN IT-

The line went disconnected.

His body stilled. His mouth left hanging and was about to say something when he felt the cold breeze of the morning sifted throughout his skin. It was as if his oblivious sensitivity awakened and made his eyes to gleam.

“N-No… Way.” he snickered in disbelief. A single tear rolled on his cheek that made him laughed in a very acerbic way.

He was getting emotional for the past few days.

Wiping it with the back of his hand, he decided to go back inside. He saw Sirene preparing the plates in their large table.

Minutes went by and the arguing couple arrived. Stella had her blank face, and Mew's irritation was palpable. The old man was in mirth when they gathered to eat a sumptuous-like breakfast prepared by Sirene.

“What's with the two of you? Getting on each other's nerves almost every day.” the old man stared at them.

Their table was in quiet pace. No one wanted to talk. The old man noticed the heavy atmosphere that made him chortled on his seat.

“What about kids? You are all not getting any younger! It's been seven years and the stubborn white hair are slowly colonizing my scalp. Aren't you pitying this poor old man who still hasn't his own grand grandchildren?” He faked his tears and facepalmed in forlorn.

Grand, grand children, huh?! Gulf, thought.

The couples just looked at each other and sighed. Sirene reached for his Pop's hand to hold.

“We will do our best, Pops.”

Their breakfast went on, and their talk flew to a familiar story for Mew and Gulf.

“I remember the two of you with your father and his secretary, Colorado. They would bring you to different places and my house is one of those. The genuine happiness in your father's eyes made me think that he was utterly contented for having you as his kids. And that also made me bewildered seven years ago…”

“Why is that? Seven years ago?” Mew asked in curiosity. Gulf was also determined to know the same thing.

The old man sank in deep thought for a moment. He eventually breathe heavily and smiled at them.

“Ferdinand told me that he wanted the two of you to live your life with freedom. It was as if he wanted you to choose your path and dreams in life. I was just in awe when I heard that he left a last will with an arrangement of marriage. That was so not him, but I think..." He paused a bit.

"He had a changed of heart and just wanted you to settle in tranquility. Who would not want it? To live together with your future family and everything he left for the two of you.”

Mew and Gulf drowned in deep thoughts, trying to fathom their late Father's decision.