Chapter 13: Anniversary

Chapter 13

Anniversary

"Are you sure?" Mew asked.

Gulf tried to talk but all he coud say was, "I-I.. don't know."

They went home with a heavy heart. It was taking a toll on them. They knew it was the thing they had to do from the very start but things began to pile up. The fire has ignited and for a reason, they've let themselves to get burned.

"Sire?"

Gulf went inside their house. It was unsually quite. He thought that Sirene wasn't at home but when he switched the lights on, he saw his wife laying on the sofa with her things scattered on the coffee table.

"Hey.." Gulf tried to wake her up but looked like the woman was in a deep slumber.

He sighed. He was fighting with himself, with his mind, with his heart. He did not want to hurt anyone because of selfishness but he already did.
"This feels like living in a fiery pit.. "

He held his wife's hand and kissed it.
"Forgive me. I have never imagined that we would go this far. I.. I am a coward. I can't even.. tell you the truth. I feel bad. Fucking bad. It hurts me to think that it will hurt you even more if I ever tell you. F-Forgive me.."

He cried for the nth time. His mind was in haywire. How to vanish for a moment? How to be brave enough to face it? He was anxious. It was like the whole universe was against them so they could never happen even how much they try. Mew would never belong to him. But he knew that his existence was for Mew alone.

"Hmm..." He heard Sirene's voice.

He stood up and carried her to bed. It was another night where he could not get himself to lay beside her. Gulf felt like hell. Guilt was keeping him awake.

He tried to stay in the veranda to freshen his mind. It was a cold starry night. The stars were glittering in a vast dark sky. He knew that Mew felt the same way..

"What are you doing?" he asked Mew over the phone.

Mew was facing his own storm too. He went home and his wife wasn't there. Even how much they hated each other's guts, deep inside, he knew he care. He care for her.

"U-Uh.. I'm off to bed."

Mew couldn't sleep too. He was thinking about Gulf's worries. He knew they have to decide sooner or later. Before everything goes too late. He need to make up his mind.

"What if.. we told them the truth from the very start? Maybe we are breathing freely now.. We made it worser.."

Mew went silent. It has already crossed his mind for the past years. Money, luxury, couldn't really equate the weigh of happiness. It was too late when they realized that they can't really hold two things at once. They chose luxury and keep each other at the same time. And hurt two women without blinking.

"Mew.. we have to face it all. They can even curse us to death. The clans are powerful enough to make us vanish in the surface. But we can't live.. like this. Lies.. hiding.. it's tiring."

"Baby can we talk about this some other time?"

He felt Gulf's frustrations. He was frustrated too. They need to calm their minds before taking an action.

"I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS NOW." Gulf gritted his teeth. He was pacing back and fourth.

"Gulf..." His voice sounded tired and serious.

Gulf heard Mew called him by his name. He has always been calling him with his sweet endearment. Now his heart was racing so fast he coildn't breath for a second. He's hurt.

"A-Alright.. We can talk about this tomorrow."

They hanged up.

Gulf stared at the sky. "Please forgive me.."

Time flew so fast. Months had passed. A special day was nearing. Two men were walking outside a tall building. The man was teasing the other guy.

"You're whipped huh? Err,, cringy."

"Shut up, fucker. I can just call and tell him to back out and drop your ass."

"DAMN YOU AND YOUR FRIGGIN' MOUTH." He kicked him and ran to his car.

"That scum.." he whispered.

He looked at his watch. He has still enough time to prepare. He was about to start the engine when his phone beeped.

"Why is he looking for that wuss?" He ran his fingers through his hair after reading the message.

"Huh? Is he even important? Did he just sent a message to look for him? Fuck you, Kaow." He was not aware he's talking with himself.

He sent a reply and put down his phone. It was their anniversary so he had to prepare for a mini celebration.

"Yes. His favorite menu. Oh, right. Stella wants it."

Hours went by. He was in a private restaurant. He wanted to make it perfect for them.

The clock struck at  8 pm. He saw Stella walking inside with her gold dress. A small smile was evident on her lips.

"What a surprise.." She said. He pulled the sit for her.

"Where are they?" She asked looking at him intently.

"Maybe they will arrive any moment."

He was right. A man with a beautiful woman arrived. They were holding each other's hands.
"Good evening.."

"Oh. I think it will be pleasant to hear, Happy anniversary. Right?" It was Stella.

Sirene smiled but it was shortlived. Gulf sat beside her, infront of Mew. They smiled at each other.

It was a good setting. A mellow but sweet music serenading at the background. The taste of the wine accompanied by the delish course. It was perfect.

"How was the food?"

"It was surprisingly good. Thank you for this." Sirene smiled ear to ear.

The awkwardness was palpable. Mew cleared his throat and smiled at them.

"U-Uh... Why don't we dance? The music is good."

They were about to oblige when Stella clinked his glass down on the table. She seem so serious and her eyes were bloodshot.

"Let's get down to the real business, hoaxers."