Ch 1

Writer's note: I will be editing the other chapters as I decided to change the plot a little (minus the reincarnation part). So, this fic will just be a modern HuaLian fic. I will make sure to upload once a week and the other chapters, which were unpublished for the meantime, a little earlier. HEHE. Thank you for still reading this fic. I am back to writing it and it will have regular updates. YAHOO!

I am not confident with my writing skills and I have a very limited vocabulary. So, please be kind. HEHE~

~

Xie Lian's POV

Today was Xie Lian's first day as Mayor Jun Wu's private investigator.

Surprise was an understatement the moment he received a phone call from the supposed Mayor's office. He was in utter disbelief at that time, disbelief that resulted in skepticism because who would not be when he did not have the best credentials out there. He was not oblivious to such a fact and it was normal for him to feel that way. But by nature and values, Xie Lian was a kind and optimistic man, so he remained polite while on the phone. And he was glad he did because the next morning, when he went to the Mayor's office for an interview, it really was a legitimate offer from Mayor Jun Wu's good office.

He was confident all throughout the interview, even when he was asked about his educational background. Xie Lian knew he was lacking at that point and he thought he was doomed not to be hired because, unfortunately, due to some circumstances, which he would rather not be reminded of, he was not able to acquire a higher educational degree. However, he just kept getting lucky and it was something rather unusual since all he experienced from that day was bad luck. To his delight, the Mayor said that it would not matter anyway because the work given to him would not require a college diploma.

Xie Lian was a jack of all trades, master of none. Over the years of being free, he gained connections, but none of those connections ran deeper. Most often, they were for convenience and work. Although he wanted some genuine connection, something he could hold on to as a social person, there really was nothing for him. It was just inevitable though to establish some sort of connection, even a little, with those who hired him to do bits of things.

He could hack, sneak, gather, crawl and if needed, sing and dance. But there was a limit to that, he could not kill, harm, do things for evil, or cook delicious food. But, basically, he would do all things to get by and to get the work done.

He was good at getting things done no matter how seemingly hard it was.

He chased someone's lover to the airport just to stop them from going away because the other said so. That time, he had to run for fifteen minutes straight under the heat of the sun because the metro's traffic was heavy.

Xie Lian also experienced cleaning someone else's house, doing other's laundry, following someone's son, pretending to be a tree, being a clown, and many more. There were some sketchy things he did too, but not enough to put him in life and death danger. (Xie Lian lost his sense of what's dangerous or not.)

Xie Lian wiped his sweaty palms on his worn-out faded blue jeans. He was a little tense. He fixed his hair and patted his cheeks because he felt really pale. Some slight slapping on his cheeks might add color.

Standing in front of the tall dark wooden door of Mayor Jun's office with a name plate on it, he took in another gulp of air. The secretary just pointed him to the direction of the office and he was all by himself to deal with the Mayor. Do not get him wrong. Mayor Wu was not known as a snobby, arrogant politician. He was quite the contrary, that was why Xie Lian put him on a pedestal. The man was an admirable leader, a man of the people, well-loved, transparent, and did not have a lavish lifestyle.