Ch 16

Took me a while. huhu. But here it is. Nothing much happened except for jealous XL and HC. lol. idiots.

~

Hua Cheng's

It would've been his greatest happiness if Xie Lian was lying on his bed under a different circumstance - when Xie Lian was beaming, eyes sparkling in happiness and mirth. But it was not the case right now. Right now, Xie Lian's body was marred with different bruises and scratches. There was an IV fluid connected to his hand and a device helping him to breathe properly because Hua Cheng was overthinking. 

His Beloved was treated in a way he wished not a single innocent soul would experience. 

His trusted doctors told him that Xie Lian sustained no serious injury, much to his relief, after a series of examinations. There was a little fracture found in his rib but it was not something that needed surgery. He also just had a minor concussion. The ones who hurt him either did not wish him dead or they were just caught before they could do it.

And what if they did? What if I got there any later? 

He swallowed thickly as his anger consumed him once more. They will pay. And they will pay dearly. 

After Xie Lian was stable earlier, the doctor gave him a go signal to transfer him to his house where Hua Cheng could monitor him closely. It was also a given that the doctor should be around to regularly check Xie Lian's healing. 

Hua Cheng grabbed that chance. He didn't want to feel threatened while Xie Lian was in a vulnerable condition. It wouldn't do him any good.

What Xie Lian's body needed was rest and rest he would give. 

Hua Cheng also decided that should the Mayor fire Xie Lian for being absent without leave, he would let him do so. It would actually be better if Xie Lian would stop working for that Mayor. 

Hua Cheng sighed. 

His focus was still on his Beloved. Those men, including Li Jun, were detained by He Xuan and were waiting for his judgment. They would be kept there alive until he could already leave Xie Lian for a while... still under his close supervision. He made sure to monitor his own room with a camera. 

Right now, his priority was Xie Lian - not his anger, not his bloodlust, and not his need to avenge. But Xie Lian. 

More than a day had already passed since Xie Lian was found unconscious and he was yet to wake up. Hua Cheng barely slept as he arranged everything for his gege. He was almost frantic if not for Yin Yu who was always trying to calm him down and tell him that Xie Lian would be fine. 

Hua Cheng held Xie Lian's hand and placed it on his cheek. It was cold. But it was soft. "Wake up, gege. I miss you already." He knew Xie Lian had to rest but he wanted Xie Lian to wake up for even just a minute... A minute would be enough to convince Hua Cheng he'd be okay. "I'm sorry," he whispered. 

Honestly, even though he knew he couldn't have known, Hua Cheng still thought it was his fault for leaving Xie Lian alone. He could've also secured his gege more or just really not left at all.

"I'm so sorry for failing you," he said. 

Hua Cheng was just staring at Xie Lian when somebody knocked. His hand immediately reached out for his gun tucked safely on his waist. He had been overly protective in the light of the recent events and he could say that it was understandable. 

"Hua Chengzhu, it's me." 

It was Yin Yu.

Hua Cheng relaxed a little as his friend went inside his room. He brushed Xie Lian's hair.