Ch 8

CW//Past child abuse

~

Xie Lian's

"What a pathetic little kid." His small body was thrown by such a force when he received the backhand slap. It was nothing compared to the other things he received from the same vile man. "I heard you haven't eaten. Do you want to die?"

Xie Lian wanted to but not really... yet. He was a child and wasn't thinking about the possibilities of death. He wasn't able to grasp such a concept, a state of no life, of a void. So, he remained mute. He knew better than talking back. 

The man grasp his cheeks with both hands and forced his mouth to open. His hand was so big compared to his small face. A spoonful of food was shoved inside his mouth, hitting the back of his throat. He wanted to gag. 

Xie Lian jolted up from the nightmare and opened his eyes. Good thing, the room was dimly lit and the light did not hurt his eyes that much. He was welcomed by a white ceiling and white walls. On his right, an IV dripping to a tube connected to his hand. The swell on his arm was bandaged well but was still aching badly.  He broke away from momentary disorientation and remembered how things turned out in the mission. He set aside the nightmare as his focus was diverted.

"San Lang." He tried to call out, voice scratchy. He was concerned about his housemate. Is he safe? "San Lang." He tried to look around, but the younger was nowhere to be found. There was an unfamiliar aching in his heart upon knowing that San Lang was not inside the room.

A voice broke out. "Shorty! Thank heavens you're awake. How are you feeling?" Feng Xin rambled as he adjusted the bed so his upper body will be slightly lifted. Mu Qing was on the other side transferring water from the pitcher to the glass. 

"Here, Xie Lian." The officer handed him the glass of water. 

Xie Lian drank all the water in the glass at once and thanked Mu Qing. His throat felt a lot better now that he was hydrated. "What happened?" he croaked out. 

"You fainted from the venom. Added the fatigue, it was bad," Feng Xin frowned. "Shorty, you worried us."

Frowning, Xie Lian let his eyes scan the room. The hospital room was a private one, quite spacious with a comfortable cream sofa on the corner and a coffee table. The thick curtains were draped along the window nicely and the bed was larger and more comfortable than the usual hospital bed. Xie Lian was wearing a baby blue hospital gown and a comforter was tucked into his body.

"Where is San Lang?" He asked looking at the two officers. He was a little hopeful. San Lang could just be out to take care of some personal errands. If the two officers were here, then, it might be safe to say that San Lang could just be somewhere and probably visited him too.  However, the hard look on Feng Xin's eyes and Mu Qing's gaze not meeting his said otherwise.

Xie Lian knew what the answer was and he was a little disappointed. Uhm, not really little. However, for him, it was normal to feel disappointed. San Lang had become his closest friend even for the short while they had been together. "He was the one who brought you here and chose this room for you," Feng Xin informed him. 

At least, he cared. Did he really? Xie Lian took in a sharp breath. Not really answering his question, part of Xie Lian still hoped that San Lang could still be around. San Lang, Hua Cheng, whoever San Lang is, he was still San Lang. "So, where is San Lang? I want to see him." Xie Lian tried to smile to ease the dull hurt in his heart. 

Feng Xin scoffed, "He is not here, Xie Lian. Stop looking for him. That man is no good."

"Dumb shit." Mu Qing cursed. "Can you talk gently? Hu-" Mu Qing cleared his throat. "That man is not here. He left you to our care right after you were settled. He said you will meet each other again and when that time comes, you'll know him for who he is."